DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas & XP X64? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/110825-vegas-xp-x64.html)

Don Boosinger December 22nd, 2007 11:43 PM

Vegas & XP X64?

For those of you that are using xp pro x64.
I decided to try it but Vegas will not install!
How did you do it?

thanks

Kim Olsson December 23rd, 2007 04:12 AM

I have tried it, and it worked without any problems...
But i changed back to x86 because of the incompatibility of other applications i use...
And, why use something unsupported with vegas...
Something may go wrong...
Search on windows x64 on sonymediasoftware forum...

Don Boosinger December 23rd, 2007 05:08 AM

Thanks Kim. I just wanted to experiment with it. But on a fresh installation of x64, for me, Vegas will not even load. I just get a message saying it’s not compatible and the system halts. So I was just wondering how others were even getting it to load? I’m still using it on xp home but it makes me curious.

Kim Olsson December 23rd, 2007 07:52 AM

Well... I didnt do any thing special.
I just also did an clean install with a windows XP Pro x64 on my machine...
Maybe something with CPU compatible ? I got an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700...
Remember also that when you install x64 bit Win, you also have to install x64 bit architect software to your drivers and so on...
Example, I have a nVidia graphic card, so I have to download a x64 drivers from nVidia's website and not their regular driver...
And same for your mouse, soundcard, framework and so on....

Anyway, Vegas will support x64 bit OS in near future.... Information on their website.. I think it will be availible at the end of 2008....

GL

Don Boosinger December 23rd, 2007 09:52 PM

The only thing that I had installed was x64 (sp2), then Vegas. My video is Geforce 8600GTS, Monitor is Acer 22" both of which worked correctly. The processor is a Core 2 Dual, E4400 with 3GB ram(FSB 800). So I don't really think it's the hardware, but then again ........ 3 drives, system drive WD320, 2) WD500 RAID 0 and have ordered two WD160 which will be setup as RAID 1 for system drives replacing the WS320 IDE type. After that's done I will try again and see what happens.
thanks

Don Boosinger December 25th, 2007 10:22 PM

Well I decided not to wait. I found that I was missing two files:
MicroSoft.Net Framework 3.0 (x64) and
MicroSoft.Net Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
So I found the files and installed them. Then Vegas Pro 8 installed.
Then I upgraded to the “a” revision, same with DVDarch 4.5a.

During the installation I noticed that the installation destination was not the normal “Program Files” but instead “Program Files (x86)”. This leads me to believe that any software installed under this directory is not x64 compatible but runs under the XP (x32) mode. Which is fine with me – at least it runs and all my hardware is recognized. It does raise some questions though. Perhaps someone out there can answer them. Mostly I thinking of the ram amount.

It is my understanding that under x32 up to 3 GB ram can be used while under x64 something like 128GB (or more?) can be used. So the question becomes is the memory limited to the x32 limits or the x64 limits. Somehow I suspect the x32 limits.

Then there is the question of Vista. Vegas (according to the web site) is compatible with Vista. But was Vegas rewritten for the Vista x64 or is it still x32 and like XP x64 loads in the x86 subdirectory. I suspect the latter is the case.

Makes for a lot of speculation between XP x64 and Vista.... why have 2 x64 products!

Cliff Etzel December 26th, 2007 10:21 AM

Don,

My desktop machine is spec'd with an AMD 3800X2 Oc'd to 2.2ghz. 4GB Corsair PC800 Dual Channel RAM on a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 motherboard.

VP8 is still a 32bit program - but runs flawlessly for me on x64 XP Pro. I'm pretty sure it runs the same on x64 Vista - although I have serious reservations about the performance of M$ latest bloatware OS. Hardware for me isn't an issue other than the Epson 880 printer that has no drivers - I still had my old Canon BJC-80 printer and it works for printing invoices.

I utilize SONY Vegas Pro 8 (and Vegas 7 previously), Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 4, Cinescore 1.0c, CD Architect 5.2 - all without any issues on x64 Xp Pro. I couldn't say that about any of Adobe's video/audio apps when I used them - either on 32 or 64 bit XP Pro.

I did a custom install on my primary drive which is a Seagate 160GB 7200rpm - partitioning it into 3 segments - the OS is on the C partition which is 25GB in size. My D partition is a little over 14GB in size and this is where I install all my apps - I modify the install path to put everything into "Program Files" instead of "Program Files (x86)". I modified where My Documents points to and that is the remaining 47GB E partition. I also have a Seagate 200GB 7200rpm Audio drive and a 2x160GB Seagate 7200rpm Raid 0 setup, although I am going to be transitioning to a single 500GB Seagate 7200rpm drive for video and reusing the 160's for backup drives.

The deriders of x64 XP Pro call it a dead program - that's fine for me - I just keep using it and smile with the stability that comes with a 64 bit OS.

Kim - the press release stated end of 2007 for the release of 64bit Vegas Pro - getting down to the wire on that deadline.

Kim Olsson December 26th, 2007 01:33 PM

Well Don...
First of all,
x64 Windows Vista Home Basic can handle 8GB of RAM.
x64 Windows Vista Home Premium can handle 16GB of RAM.
x64 Windows Vista Business can handle 128+GB of RAM.
x64 Windows Vista Enterprise can handle 128+GB of RAM, and
x64 Windows Vista Ultimate can handle 128+GB of RAM.

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition can handle 128GB of RAM.

x32 Windows can handle 3GB-3.5GB, depending on system configuration on your Win...

Sony Vegas 8 support Windows Vista x32, and NOT x64. It does work with x64, but as Sony says at there website, they do not support it. So if you have any trouble with Vegas 8 and you are running it on Win x64, you have no support from them...

Basically they do not support x64, because it takes time to rebuild there software to make it native x64....

About Win XP x64 and Win Vista x64...
Win XP is Microsoft's first x64 OS....
And obvious they will continue with an x64 version of Vista....

I believe Vista users also want to be able to run x64....

God luck

Don Boosinger December 26th, 2007 06:10 PM

Thanks for the help.

For now I think that I will use the dual boot feature.

So far I have only one piece of hardware I have not been able to setup in x64 – my scanner. But I have not given up yet. Even so it still works in x32 so I’m not so sure how important it is for x64.

I keep telling myself – this is just a hobby…..this is just a hobby…….

Cary Lee January 2nd, 2008 03:18 PM

Well I have xp64 running with my Vegas 8.0 and DVD architect 4.5 without any problems. I did have to get specific framework programs that were written for (x86) in order for it to install but I don't see any glitches. Then again I did a clean install and have very little programs on my computer except for only production programs. I also have 4gbs of memory and using a opteron 1.85 processor on my DFI Lanparty.

Allan Phan February 15th, 2008 08:21 AM

I have successfully installed Vegas 8 Pro on XP PRO 64bit and Vista Ultimate 64Bit. I encountered no issue at all. Both were done under a clean install of Windows then Vegas. Although I have gone back to XP Pro 32 bit due to my Bella Vegas Keyboard doesn’t work with 64bit and some other program I still prefer using 64 Bit because Windows will see my 4GB RAM instead of 3.25 GB in 32 Bit.
To save time for future upgrade, I have made 3 Images. one with 64 Bit XP, one with 64 Bit Vista and one that I’m using now 32 bit XP. So if Sony support 64 bit or Bella keyboard or whatever I can just Ghost my PC and ready to go.

Michael Wisniewski February 15th, 2008 08:27 AM

What types of improvements are you seeing with XP 64-bit and Vegas 32-bit?

Allan Phan February 15th, 2008 08:50 AM

This might not answer your question but here what I found.
Importing video to the time line is much quicker
Render time is less too. I had a video clip that took 14 minutes to render on my XP Pro with 2GB of RAM and now 9 minutes on XP Pro 64 bit with 4 GB of ram and didn’t hear my HD noise at all. DVDA also quicker during prepare DVD. My goal was to see if Vegas Pro8 will work with 64 bit and will it crash during rendering and prepare DVD file and it didn’t crash at all. I didn’t spent time focus on improvement so hopefully sometime in the near future I will provide some more info.

Frank Genus February 15th, 2008 08:58 AM

FWIW, I've been running Vegas Pro 8 on a new Vista 64bit system (HP Pavilion Elite M9160F) for about a month noew and it hasn't crashed yet.

- Frank.

Sherif Choudhry February 15th, 2008 02:57 PM

Ah ha - a stable platform?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Genus (Post 826779)
FWIW, I've been running Vegas Pro 8 on a new Vista 64bit system (HP Pavilion Elite M9160F) for about a month noew and it hasn't crashed yet.

- Frank.

Frank, I am looking to purchase a "tried and tested" system. Whats real time preview like on your system? Would you typically run multiple video/audio tracks with 3-4 FX on them, and what fps would you see in real-time-preview?

Sounds great it hasnt crashed once with Vista. Are you rendering to typical mpeg2, wmv, quicktime files for DVD or internet use?

many thanks
Sherif