fx application to multiple clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 29th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Inner Circle

fx application to multiple clips

applying fx,

Totally new to vegas coming from premiere pro 1.5. Quite a change to be certain and so far I am liking what I see in pro 8.

I can apply a fx like bightness and contrast to an individual highlighted clip, I can also apply to the entire time line;

I have multiple side by side clips to apply too. I highlight them , right click to event effects and make the adjustment, click ok only to not have them applied.
On the left side is the track application tool and even if the ones are highlighted they all get changed, as expected.

am I missing something obvious??

thank you for any assistance.
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Vegas has multiple places to apply efx. In addition to Track & Clip, you also have Master & Project Media.

This is a particular strength of Vegas, but when you're learning the software it can seem opaque.

* Applying efx to a particular clip in the Project Media window will apply to all instances of that media in that project. Particularly useful for multicamera, but also for any time you're intercutting an interview with b-roll. You can apply cc to the interview at the Project Media level and cut away, then adjusting the b-roll clip by clip on the timeline.

* A very useful shortcut on the timeline is to copy the clip whose efx you like, then, select all the clips you want to have the same settings, right click and pull down to "Paste Event Attributes".
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Dale, take a look at my newsletters. One of the issues deals directly with applying effects to various places and how much they will affect.

Basically, here's the main places you can add effects:

1. Event - affects only that one event.
2. Track - affects all events on that one track.
3. Project - affects the entire project.
4. Project Media - affects only that one piece of media wherever it is on the timeline.

BTW, you probably don't want "brightness and contrast" anyway. There's much better tools for that purpose. Do a search here to see the alternatives.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Seth & Edward,

I am comfortable working on the timeline.

I applied my fx to the first dark clip, I then highlighted the timeline clips by clicking under them and dragging right, makes a blue colorunderneath and scrolls a line across the video and audio track, (is that actually highlighted?)
I then go to the highlighted section and paste attributes but then the efx are still only laid down on the one clip where I paste the atttributes.

It appears that I actually do not have the clips selected!!!

Am I selecting the group of clips improperly or what.

sure makes me feel stupid!!!

thank you,
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #5

Select the clip you corrected. COPY that clip. Select the rest of the clips. Now right-click one of them and do a "Paste Event Attributes".
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Edward,

I am doing exactly as you say. everything works great but!!!

when I highlight 4 clips, then I right click only that one frame becomes darker blue (which means only it is selected, right?) paste and only that clip gains the properties.

How are you selecting the multiple clips???? I down loaded the manual and was going through that but that has not helped either.

thank you for your patience!!!!
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Ed,

thanks I got it!!!

you have to hit the selection edit tool on the tool bar!!!!

went back to the manual for the multiple time!! In my printed version I could not really make out the arrow head!

thanks a bunch!!!
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #8

If they're all on the same track, you can also right-click the first one and choose "Select Events to End"
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #9
Old Boot

Welcome aboard Dale!

Vegas ROX! - Been using versions of Vegas back to VV3. If I can help yah I will - just ask away!

Graham "Grazie" Bernard
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Graham,

you will be hearing from me. I am taking the bull by the horns and will be editing a wedding this next couple weeks. It was a 2 camera shoot with multi audio channels.
It may be a bit of an acid test!!!

Hope the multi camera is easy to use.
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #11
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
. . . . I am taking the bull by the horns and will be editing a wedding this next couple weeks. It was a 2 camera shoot with multi audio channels. Hope the multi camera is easy to use.
That's the whole COW-SHED!!! - Can't I start with simple fades and dissolves? I might not try this via email.

Anyways, Dale, go for it!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Dale, if you are in Regina, let me know. I would be happy to pop over and share what I know.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Dale,

Good to see you are giving Vegas a try. I like it a lot and think you will too as you get used to it.

http://pawildlifephotographer.blogspot.com/
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Curt,

I am not in regina, but my wife flies at the flying club at the airport. I would love to stop in and have a look see at how yoou use the vegas software!! You can email me if that is doable, if not I am at Mossbank south of Moosejaw.

you can email me at my personal email address if you wish.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Dale, yet another way to select multiple clips for any purpose is to click on the first clip in the group you want to select, then go to the last and hold shift while you click on that last clip in the series and those two you have clicked on and all in between on the same line will be selected. It's the same as selecting multiple items in a Windows folder.

Welcome to Vegas!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...