DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   HDV down conversion... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/111506-hdv-down-conversion.html)

Brendan Pyatt January 3rd, 2008 08:00 AM

HDV down conversion...

Hi,
Sorry if this has been covered before - I have searched - and also that it feels like a really basic topic!

I have ben recording in 1080-50i (PAL). I have some captured footage that someone wants to edit. Their editing software cant deal with HDV footage so Im trying to down convert in Vegas Pro 8.0a.

The problem i have is that the rendered file always appears stretched on the vertical... To me its seems that 1440x1080 doesnt go into 720x576.

So what 'project' settings should I use and what 'render as' settings.

Ive tried PAL DV widescreen for both and the output always appears vertically stretched...

Brendan Pyatt January 3rd, 2008 08:13 AM

ok well i tried changing the 'render as' file type previously i was using *.avi however if i choose mpeg2 and DVD PAL i get no stretching.

why is this ?

and further to this what format should use to an output that is as close (as raw) as the orginal but SD not HD.

Brendan Pyatt January 3rd, 2008 08:30 AM

wow im confused! but possibly getting somewhere.

it seems that the *.avi is fine if i open it in vegas it only appears vertically stretched in the software video player i am using (GOM player). i also note that the *.avi looks much better and the file is four times the size of the *.mepg2.

from this i conclude that i should down convert to *.avi file format and not worry that it looks vertically stretched in a player as it looks fine in an editor.

i would love to know why?

thanks.

Brendan Pyatt January 3rd, 2008 03:23 PM

HDV to SD by recording preview...

I have been told to downconvert by recording the preview output.

So i hooked my cam by ilink but what ever project settings or preview device settings i am always getting a jerky recording.

The hdv clip was captured using neohd (cineform) its properties are: 25fps 1440x1080x24
I set the project to PAL DV widescreen. Dropped the clip into the timeline.
Preview quality is Best(full). The preview device properties are: PAL DV widescreen.
But the recording is jerky...

Im sure it must be easy to convert a capture hdv file and save it on tape but i can't work it out!

- how do you delete a thread on here?

Edward Troxel January 3rd, 2008 03:32 PM

Previews may not be full framerate (hence your "jerky" output).

Instead, try Tools - Print Video to DV Tape.

However, that will simply do what you could do manually instead: File - Render As and pick the proper format for rendering.

Brendan Pyatt January 3rd, 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 802154)
However, that will simply do what you could do manually instead: File - Render As and pick the proper format for rendering.

How would i save (record) a rendered file to a tape using a camcorder? this is exactly what i would like to do as i have this clip rendered in PAL DV.

thank you (very much!)

Edward Troxel January 3rd, 2008 03:58 PM

Put the rendered file on a timeline. Go to Tools. Select Print to DV Tape. Follow the prompts.

Brendan Pyatt January 4th, 2008 07:37 AM

thanks again edward. your advice really helped !