HDV down conversion... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV down conversion...

Hi,
Sorry if this has been covered before - I have searched - and also that it feels like a really basic topic!

I have ben recording in 1080-50i (PAL). I have some captured footage that someone wants to edit. Their editing software cant deal with HDV footage so Im trying to down convert in Vegas Pro 8.0a.

The problem i have is that the rendered file always appears stretched on the vertical... To me its seems that 1440x1080 doesnt go into 720x576.

So what 'project' settings should I use and what 'render as' settings.

Ive tried PAL DV widescreen for both and the output always appears vertically stretched...
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

ok well i tried changing the 'render as' file type previously i was using *.avi however if i choose mpeg2 and DVD PAL i get no stretching.

why is this ?

and further to this what format should use to an output that is as close (as raw) as the orginal but SD not HD.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

wow im confused! but possibly getting somewhere.

it seems that the *.avi is fine if i open it in vegas it only appears vertically stretched in the software video player i am using (GOM player). i also note that the *.avi looks much better and the file is four times the size of the *.mepg2.

from this i conclude that i should down convert to *.avi file format and not worry that it looks vertically stretched in a player as it looks fine in an editor.

i would love to know why?

thanks.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

HDV to SD by recording preview...

I have been told to downconvert by recording the preview output.

So i hooked my cam by ilink but what ever project settings or preview device settings i am always getting a jerky recording.

The hdv clip was captured using neohd (cineform) its properties are: 25fps 1440x1080x24
I set the project to PAL DV widescreen. Dropped the clip into the timeline.
Preview quality is Best(full). The preview device properties are: PAL DV widescreen.
But the recording is jerky...

Im sure it must be easy to convert a capture hdv file and save it on tape but i can't work it out!

- how do you delete a thread on here?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Previews may not be full framerate (hence your "jerky" output).

Instead, try Tools - Print Video to DV Tape.

However, that will simply do what you could do manually instead: File - Render As and pick the proper format for rendering.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
However, that will simply do what you could do manually instead: File - Render As and pick the proper format for rendering.
How would i save (record) a rendered file to a tape using a camcorder? this is exactly what i would like to do as i have this clip rendered in PAL DV.

thank you (very much!)
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Put the rendered file on a timeline. Go to Tools. Select Print to DV Tape. Follow the prompts.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks again edward. your advice really helped !
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...