.m2t Vegas, WMP, VLC and KM Player Frames All Look Different at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Trustee

.m2t Vegas, WMP, VLC and KM Player Frames All Look Different

I video taped someone fielding a baseball with my HV-20 set at HDV 1080i and Sport Exposure (uses a fast shutter speed).

I captured the video into Vegas 8 and dragged the .m2t file into the timeline. Individual frames look good in the Vegas Preview window (but why is playing in the Preview Window so much more a resource hog than playing in a standalone media player?).

Here's where the real confusion begins: when I play the .m2t in Windows Media Player I get extreme jaggedness around the edges during even slow movement. This occurs both during playback and on a paused frame.

VLC media player also shows the same jaggedness. But when I take a snapshot of it, the jaggedness does not show up, rather a blurring of two fields.

KM Player displays the same blurriness from overlaying two fields.

What's going on? I would assume that frame grab would be a frame grab, now matter what player I'm using.

I uploaded examples (the are not the identical frame, but have the type of motion). They are of the smooth Vegas frame, the jagged WMP frame, the jagged VLC frame that snaphots as blurry and the blurry KM Player frame.

Thanks much for your help!

P.S. the VLC frame has a weird blockiness that doesn't show in the original.
Attached Thumbnails
.m2t Vegas, WMP, VLC and KM Player Frames All Look Different-vegas_smooth.jpg   .m2t Vegas, WMP, VLC and KM Player Frames All Look Different-wmv_jagged.jpg  

.m2t Vegas, WMP, VLC and KM Player Frames All Look Different-vlc_blurry.jpg   .m2t Vegas, WMP, VLC and KM Player Frames All Look Different-kmp_blurry.jpg  

Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Vegas is using those processor cycles and deinterlacing for preview, and is correctly interpreting the field order, so it looks clean.

VLC is not - the frame grab shows classic interlacing artifacts. It should be deinterlacing.

KMP - not familiar with that player, but it is also showing interlace artifacts.

WM - this is the interesting one. Is this your native M2T footage, or a render out of Vegas? (OK> you said native M2T) What it appears to be showing is interlace artifacts that have then been rescaled, creating interesting comb interference effects on the alternating fields.

It is possible that field order is wrongly coded in the M2T and the standalone players are playing that way. WMV has no controls for this. KMP? Don't know. VLC has a series of controls under Preferences | Video | Filters | Deinterlace, but I don't see field order. It should be deinterlacing cleaner.

Maybe someone more familiar with the HV20 M2T could comment on field order issues.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...