Color Correct in Multicam Projects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Correct in Multicam Projects

When I have two video tracks I want to use in a multicam project, the most logical firist step would be to color correct so the picture from each camera matches nicely. When I place an effect (color correction) on a video track and then let multicam combine them into one track, I get a message stating "some effects will be disabled using multicam" - color correction is disabled. So, that leaves me having to color correct (or paste an effect into) dozens of little clips.

Am I missing something? Is there a better workflow to color correct a multicam project?
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

actually the BEST way to edit, IMO, is to CUT,COLOR/EXPOSURE and finally AUDIO.

Why? Well first you might make changes to the cut. Once you've made the cut then it's a lot easier to do CC and Exposure correct if needed and with multicam shoots, if you're using the audio from the cameras (not a seperate audio recorder) then you migh use audio from some or all the cameras not just the "A" camera.

Over the years I have found this system works the best. Do my CUT first then I can concentrate on color and exposure and finally audio work. It just seems to work out better at least for me.

Then you can do CC to the clips (events) or in the media pool whichever works best. Don't forget that once you've CCd one clip you can make that a preset in the CC FX and highlight all the clips that you want to use that FX on and simply bring it to them all at once.

Don

Last edited by Don Bloom; January 10th, 2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: forgot something
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Geoffrey, I haven't tried this yet but can't you do your CC'ing after the multicam edit is done?
That is, figure out your CC settings, save them as presets (use a plug-in chain if there's more than one FX), do your editing and then reapply them to the clips in the media pool, not on the timeline.
This way, the entire clip is corrected at once.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes I can Color Correct after the edit, but I didn't think it was very efficient to have to find all the little pieces of video (after being cut up by multicam) and apply an effect to each and every little clip.

Now, you mention using the Media Pool. I guess I don't know how that works. Can I apply an effect to a whole file even though it's cut up in the timeline?
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

If you apply an effect in the Project Media, it will be applied to that clip wherever it is on the timeline - no matter how many pieces it is or over how many tracks it is located.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

There's the answer. Thank you very much.

I have to say, I love this program. I've been a hold out with Premiere 6.5 for many years thinking I would be the most productive with a program I knew well, instead of continually trying the "latest thing," having to learn new software. I’m glad I gave Vegas 8 a try because I can see already after just two jobs, it is going to really speed up editing.
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
If you apply an effect in the Project Media, it will be applied to that clip wherever it is on the timeline - no matter how many pieces it is or over how many tracks it is located.
I've been playing with this new [to me] concept for a while and can't figure out how to view what's going on as I try to apply CC to a clip in the Project Media. Can someone clue me in to just how this is done, please? :)
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Lorinda,

Put the clip on the timeline. Make sure the cursor is on that clip so you can see it in the preview screen. Now go to the Project Media, select that clip, and click on the "FX" button to add an FX. As you adjust the FX, the changes will be seen on the preview screen. The key is making sure the cursor is over that clip so you can see it in the preview screen.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #9
Wrangler

Ah…thanks, Edward! Unfortunately, when dealing with a LOT of clips (as I am this time), it’s probably just as time efficient cutting without using the multicam feature and applying effects on a track level. It’s a good case for leaving the camera running for that nice, long clip!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...