Photomontage - Ultimate S or others? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Trustee

Photomontage - Ultimate S or others?

I am in the process of putting together a huge photo montage piece that will require a program to individual make some movement or create some dynamic shots from stills. I have read and heard that Ultimate S does this. My main challenge right now is that not all of the photos are 640X480 and most are taken with the camera turned side-ways (so I guess instead of 6X4, they are 4X6 - taller than longer).
When placing some of those pics in Vegas, I noticed there is quite a bit of white space on either side of them (and using aspect ratio just squished them) and the number of pictures makes it more than uncomfortable to have to crop or resize them all in photoshop - so...

Does Ultimate S or another program out there take this into account the size and shape of the photo when it creates a dynamic photomontage? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes the size is taken into account. Definitely give Ultimate S a try. Also give Excalibur a try. See which one works best for your needs. You can find a demo Video Scrapbook video as done in Excalibur here. Info on Ultimate S is at www.vasst.com
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I usually resize my photo's to 1440x960 before bringing them into Vegas using Photoshop batch processing and make sure the framing is correct for the primary focus of the picture. The problem you will have using any script program in Vegas is that it doesn't see the picture's primary object so when you do an automated match aspect ratio/project size, you will get portrait photos showing from the waist down or other unintended framing. If most of your photos are portrait sized, you'll end up having to key frame everyone to bring the primary object into view (most likely) anyway. By preparing the photos first, then bringing them in via Ultimate S, at least you will not have to mess with key framing each one to adjust the movement. The batch processing feature of Photoshop can be saved and reused too. In fact, I have one for doing just resizing, and one for doing resizing and automatic color correction. My choice of script is Ultimate S as it has so many other tools included (audio, FX, sync to music and markers, MotoPhoto, etc.). I haven't used Excalibur in a couple of years but I hear it's good also. Hope this helps.
Randy

Last edited by Randy Stewart; January 11th, 2008 at 11:59 AM.
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

For basic photo montage, you can use my free scripts VideoSlide & VideoZoom.
More info HERE.
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, I will look into that - another thing :

1) How are most people dealing with the RED EYE issue in VV7? I know that the Platinum studio has a feature for dealing with RED EYE, but what is the tried and true method of getting rid of it?

2) I want to import some FLASH clips into my project - how should I save them in the flash program? As an AVI or can I save as a SWF?

Thanks
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

David,
Red eye reduction is included in Vegas 7. Right click a picture on the timeline or in the project media window and chose Red Eye Reduction. Create the selection over the red part (drag to size circle) and hit delete. Repeat for each eye in the picture. It will automatically fix all occurences of that picture in your project. Sorry, but I can't answer question 2. Someone else will I'm sure.
Happy editing,
Randy

Last edited by Randy Stewart; January 12th, 2008 at 08:22 AM.
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Major Player

I have used swf from swishmax on the timeline and they were fine
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #8
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney View Post
My main challenge right now is that not all of the photos are 640X480 and most are taken with the camera turned side-ways (so I guess instead of 6X4, they are 4X6 - taller than longer).
When placing some of those pics in Vegas, I noticed there is quite a bit of white space on either side of them (and using aspect ratio just squished them) and the number of pictures makes it more than uncomfortable to have to crop or resize them all in photoshop
There are two things you can do about this. One is to place a copy of the image on a track below and zoom it to 4:3 aspect. Then give it a Gaussian Blur so that it is a wash of color. The color will match the border of the picture and provide a nice background for the side borders.

The second thing you can do (which is much easier) is to drop a motion background on the track below so that the motion background shows through instead of just black. All of the major networks do this on their HD broadcasts when they have to show SD footage. You easily create motion backgrounds with Vegas Generated Media.

~jr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...