Vegas 8 Upgrade Path at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 15th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 8 Upgrade Path

Hi guys, question.

B&H has the option of buying Vegas 6 - after which you can install Vegas 8 upgrade - and it costs about 179 - Old story I know.

I am running Vista 64bit and the Vegas 8 Trial runs great. I've also heard many others running Vista 64tbit and 8a and say it runs perfectly good.

However, does Vegas 6 install ok on Vista 64bit?
If not - then it renders the above upgrade path null.

Please advise

Thanks for your help
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I can say that Vista in any form is not supported by Vegas 6. Whether or not you can get enough of an installation to work for the B&H update, I don't know.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dhadialla View Post
However, does Vegas 6 install ok on Vista 64bit? If not - then it renders the above upgrade path null.
Why? All you need is a valid serial number from a qualifying product to get the 8.0 upgrade. That's what I did. Purchased 6.0 with electronic download. Never even bothered to download it!
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #4

Apparently the B&H upgrade is different and requires Vegas 6 to be installed when Vegas 8 is installed. If this hadn't been discussed elsewhere, I would completely agree with you.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward and John !

I've heard about the mandatory installation issue as well. That was my concern. I have FCP too - and back when i had express for example - all i needed was the serial - only makes sense. There is no guarantee that an old product will install on a newer OS

If anyone else has been able to install the B&H upgrade with serial only - please advise.

Thanks all
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Correction: I bought Movie Studio - not Vegas 6.0 - directly from Sony as per this post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....3&postcount=29

Sorry.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Apparently the B&H upgrade is different and requires Vegas 6 to be installed when Vegas 8 is installed. If this hadn't been discussed elsewhere, I would completely agree with you.
What about Vegas 7 owners? I have Vegas 7, but I'm planning on getting a new PC which most likely will be running Vista Home Premium. From what I understand, Vegas 7 doesn't work on a Vista PC.
Frank Genus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #8

Frank, just order the upgrade direct for Vegas Pro 8 direct from Sony and there will be no issues whatsoever.
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Frank, just order the upgrade direct for Vegas Pro 8 direct from Sony and there will be no issues whatsoever.
Thanks Ed, the issue however is that the upgrade via Sony's website is $249.99. That's a pretty big difference in price.
Frank Genus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #10

I believe the B&H version will upgrade any version but you have to get the previous version installed. Sony support and/or B&H should really be able to help with these questions.
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #11
Major Player

I concur with Ed, that while the special low priced BH V8 upgrade disc will not install by itself without 6 already installed, Vegas tech support can bypass the issue. By verifying your V6 serial # over the phone, they can get you on your way by issuing you a replacement serial number to activate a V8 downloadable from their website, replacing the physical BH upgrade you've bought.
They worked out a similar arrangement for me.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #12
Major Player

Sam,

Thanks for the tip. Glad i stumbled across this post. I picked up mine from the postie today and will install tomorrow so i'm hopeing i can now do it with out wasting twice the time and adding more bugs to windows and saving an install. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...