Update Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Update Question

Hi,

I'm sorry if this seems to be a foolish question but I'm completely lost and should welcome some help: How can I tell if an update has been properly installed into the main programme?

I upgraded from Vegas 6 to 8 (and DVD 3 to 4.5) yesterday and downloaded the 8.0a and 4.5a updates (only to find that the b updates have today become available!) and see that I have separate shortcut icons on the desktop for these updates whereas none appear for the updates made some time ago to 6 and 3. The Add/Remove Programmes menu show Vegas 6.0d and DVDA 3.0c but only Vegas 8.0 and DVDA 4.5 which seems to suggest that the updates might not have been installed. On the other hand trying to Run from the update shortcuts merely leads to a message saying that 8.0 and 4.5 have already been installed!

I hope you can see my difficulty (even if it's probably a simple issue) and will understand that I should like to clear this up before attempting to install the newest updates.

Best wishes,

Richard Jones
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

When you open Vegas and go to Help - About, what version does it say there?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Latest Vegas updates

8.0b installed fine with the usual "do you want to update now?" query. DVDA 4.5c installed with no query and the splash screen still says 4.5a when starting and when viewing "About DVD Architect".

Not sure 4.5c is really there yet. Did Sony forget to update the splash screen?

Dave McCallister
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #4

If the splash screen still reads 4.5a then you do NOT have 4.5c.

My suspicion would be that your system has "cached" the old files and, instead of downloading the new one, is actually not downloading at all and giving you the old one. You might try clearing your cache or downloading from another machine.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Update Question

Hi Edward and yet again many thanks indeed. You are always so ready to help. If you were in the UK I'd nominate you for a knighthood but it seems we'll just have to settle for putting you up for a sainthood instead!

Yes, the Help - About Menus show 8.0a and 4.5a so all looks well and I can now download the latest updates - presumably I can just drag the desktop icons to the Recycle Bin?

Best Wishes,

Richard
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #6
Trustee

You don't need to delete the desktop icons for vegas and architect,when you install vegas 8b and architect 8b it'll just use the same icons,they might just be in a different place on the desktop.I updated my vegas and architect yesterday.
Paul.
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Update Question

Thanks Paul,

I've just installed the b updates and they seem to be OK but they have not added any icons to the desktop whereas the a updates did (i.e. in addition to the existing main Vegas 8 and DVDA4.5 shortcuts).

Hovering the mouse over these update icons shows their file names to be vagaspro8a_enu.exe (similar for DVDA) but as these updates have already been installed in the main programmes it seems that I shoud be able to send these two icons to the Recycle Bin. This would de-clutter the desktop and leave just the two main programme shortcut icons there for opening the programmes.

Am I right?

Richard
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Inner Circle

That's correct Richard.
I deleted my shortcuts before I installed the updates.
While the Vegas update did install a new shortcut, DVDA didn't so I had to make a new one for it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

DVD Architect Update

Thanks to Ed Troxel on my update issue with DVD Architect. I had actually downloaded DVD Architect Studio 4.5c, which I now realize is a "lite" version of the real deal.

Apparently the latest DVD Architect Pro update is 4.5b, not c.

One could only hope that Sony would differentiate its product names with a tad more clarity. Maybe DVD Almost Architect? Or DVD Architect Non Pro?

Dave McCalllister
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #10

In this case: "Studio" = "Almost" :-)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...