DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Lossless Logo Formats (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/112812-lossless-logo-formats.html)

Neil McLean January 21st, 2008 03:48 AM

Lossless Logo Formats

Can anyone please remind me of lossless static image formats? Is it a TIFF?

I'm about to create some logos etc for inserting into a project. I was going to have these on a transparent background/layer.

From what I recall, it's better to have this on an alpha channel. Can someone please explain this a bit more in detail for me?

Can all this be done done within Adobe Photoshop?

TIA
Neil

Mike Kujbida January 21st, 2008 04:10 AM

PNG is the format you want.
Your graphic work can be done in Photoshop.
This is what I'm doing on a project right now.
The "master" graphic is being created and saved as a PSD due to all the layers required but individual sections are being saved out as PNGs.

Neil McLean January 21st, 2008 05:44 AM

Thanks for that Mike!

I'm flying over 'the pond' and will be in your neck of the woods on Wednesday. St Catherines to be precise.

Thanks once again.
Neil

Mike Kujbida January 21st, 2008 06:16 AM

You're welcome Neil.
And, as an old expression goes, close but no cigar.
St. Catherines is a mere 400 or so km. from Windsor so it's kinda tough to invite you to drop in for a visit :-(

Neil McLean January 21st, 2008 06:19 AM

Thanks for the invite Mike.

Yip - it's about a 4 hour drive I believe. A tad too far to come for a cuppa.

Maybe next time...

Mike Kujbida January 21st, 2008 08:40 AM

Neil, make sure to bring some warm clothes with you.
I'm not sure where in the U.K. you are but your weather seems to be warmer than we have right now.
The extended forecast for St. Catherines doesn't show the temperature going above 0° C. until Sunday. It's currently at -10° C. :-(

BTW, in case you're not originally from around here, going for a "cuppa" will probably mean going to a nearby Timmie's.

Neil McLean January 21st, 2008 09:05 AM

Yes, it is cold. I talked to my Auntie recently and she's kept me well informed on how cold it is. Needless to say, I'll be packing a few base layers and an array of cycling tops etc.

Yip - I remember Tim Hortons! From what I recall, they make amazing donuts 'n' things.

I normally pop over to St Catherines in the summer when the weather is better. This time though, I'm going over as my Gran will be 95 at the end of January.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Mike Kujbida January 21st, 2008 09:11 AM

A very happy birthday to your Gran!!
Now that we've gotten completely off topic, try to get down to Niagara Falls if you get the chance.
It's only a short drive and it's supposed to very pretty in the wintertime.
And yes, Timmie's has lots of fattening doughnuts (and other assorted goodies) of all kinds :-)