Video Output Type. DVD or MPEG? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 21st, 2008, 05:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Video Output Type. DVD or MPEG?

I've re-installed the OS and Vegas on my computer.

My final delivery is MPEG-2 onto DVD, however I don't recall what MainConcept MPEG-2/Custom/Video/Video Output Type setting I selected as my default. It was either DVD or MPEG-2.

I author with DVDA, so I was hoping someone can help me out here.

Cheers
Neil
Neil McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Settings

Neil,

In the dropdown lists (Vegas 7e) I render as a Main Concept MPEG2 and, in my case, select DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream as the template. Is this the info you need?

Edit, just adding in custom settings I typically use:

Project = Best

Video = Output type actually set to DVD, 720 x 576, Main profile, Main Level, VBR (targetted often at 6000 with 8000 max, sometimes targetted higher), two-pass encode, I frames 12, B frames 2, Insert I frames as markers, Progressive scane (typically), insert seqeuence header before every GOP,

The Advanced video setting I never touch (i.e. left at Vegas defaults) and I typically include the Auido stream (Stereo, Pysco Model 2, Audiolayer 2, 224 kbits, 48Khz) System settings I never touch either.

I'm no expert but the above has produced very nice results so far!

Hope this helps some!
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That's what I suspected, MPEG-2, though I wasn't 100% sure with the DVD output also being available.

Thanks once again.
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, but see the more detailed info I've just posted above - it depends in which window/letterbox you are looking I guess.
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm looking in the same window as you.

DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video-only MPEG-2 file compatible with DVD Architect.

Output Type: MPEG-2 The default DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream Output Type is actually DVD, so I'm still a bit unsure which one to use.

I calculate the maximum constant bitrate for any given project, then use this. I multi-pass also.

Everything else is identical other than I select a Field Order of 'Lower Field First', which I think this is the default setting.

Do you or anyone else suggest I'd get better results choosing a Field Order of Progressive Scan?
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Trustee

Upper fieldfirst or lower field first ?
When your clips are in the timeline,go on a clip,right click>properties,it'll tell you the what field order that clip is,ie upper,lower or none (progressive),all clips should be the same,use that field order in your render template.It's what i do.When i'm back on my editing pc later i'll check but i'm sure i render upper first.i'll post back to confirm.
Paul.
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Field order

OK, this has been covered many times I think.... but normal (Std Def) DV is Lower Field First and MPEG2 is Upper Field First.) I think the DVD format camcorders output in UFF, mostly?, but have no experience of them.

I typically work with Sony HDV in Vegas so almost all my projects are UFF. You definitely need all clips in your project to be the same/correct field format if you want to end up with an interlaced DVD or you can get horrible choppy/jumpy motion in the final DVD. You can check any clips easily by the means stated by Paul.

Sometimes I mixing footage from HDV Sony V1 and HC1 both in PAL 50i (i.e. UFF) and Std Def DV PAL 50i from a PD150 (i.e. LFF) so I always render out these projects (in Vegas) in progressive when I've finished all editing and I'm ready for the next DVDA stage (especially since I typically watch my DVD's on PC's or a big LCD HDTV.) I then also use progressive in the DVDA stage of course.

I've tried in the past comparing "retaining" UFF "all the way through" (with projects sourced only from HDV) or going Progressive at this Vegas downconversion stage and then onwards. The results, I would say, were totally inconclusive as to which one is better in terms of quality.

My DVD's look good either way!!! (well, at least to me!)...as long as I don't do any fast panning and/or fast zooming - which is a limitation of the HDV format anyway.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 21st, 2008 at 11:38 AM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes, HDV = UFF, whereas DV = LFF

I should have mentioned I shoot HDV in my previous post. Sorry for the confusion this may have caused.
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Cropping can change field order

OK, cheers. Also, take a look at this neighbouring thread that's been going on today...I did not know about the risk of swapping an odd versus even line at the top when cropping but it makes perfect sense.

I guess this is yet another reason to stick with my typical workflow as outlined above!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...743#post811743

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...