Vegas Pro 8 project settings/Cineform HDV capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Vegas Pro 8 project settings/Cineform HDV capture

I downoaded a trial version of Cineform HDV, and used it to capture HDV clips from my Canon XH-A1. I used the default Cineform settings, except high quality instead of medium.

I'm ready to do the editing in Vegas. I will be burning a DVD for playback on SD TV, and I want to have the highest quality picture I can get. I'm looking for advice on project settings in Vegas.

Should I use the NTSC DV template, or the HDV 1080-60i template?

I'm thinking of using 32-bit floating point - does that sound appropriate?

As I said, I'm looking for advice.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Trustee

If you're going to use Cineform, then I would suggest you use the HDV1080i/60. Otherwise, I can see no reason to use Cineform, and would instead simply capture as DV.
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Stephen , im inthe same boat you are. I have a canon XHA1 , and 6 HDV tapes that i need to convert to the best quality from this camera. So i downloaded the trial version of HDV and HD. When my trial runs out ill have to buy NEO HDV and B&H photo.com . They have it for 219 or something like that. Cheaper than the cineform site. Im going with the HDV version because i didnt see any quality difference using the NEO HD. So id rather spend 200 than 600.

I captured one whole tape the other day. My settings were......

Preferences
automatically convert to AVI- checked
quality high - checked
framerate automatic- checked
I enabled smart rendering but i think im gonna try this off with a recapture

resize video - none
split file on scene changes

1 tape was 95 gig. I couldnt believe it. I think its because i enabled smart rendering. Did u have that enabled?
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wysocki View Post
Stephen , im inthe same boat you are. I have a canon XHA1 , and 6 HDV tapes that i need to convert to the best quality from this camera. So i downloaded the trial version of HDV and HD. When my trial runs out ill have to buy NEO HDV and B&H photo.com . They have it for 219 or something like that. Cheaper than the cineform site. Im going with the HDV version because i didnt see any quality difference using the NEO HD. So id rather spend 200 than 600.

I captured one whole tape the other day. My settings were......

Preferences
automatically convert to AVI- checked
quality high - checked
framerate automatic- checked
I enabled smart rendering but i think im gonna try this off with a recapture

resize video - none
split file on scene changes

1 tape was 95 gig. I couldnt believe it. I think its because i enabled smart rendering. Did u have that enabled?
Chris,

I used the exact same settings as you did, except I did NOT have smart rendering enabled.
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

yea , im gonna disable smart rendering and see how big my file size is tonight . And also if the playback is better on WMP classic. Im sure i wont notice a difference in picture quality.
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

then , im gonna render something small in vegas 7 , until i get 8 , and see what the best settings are for that as well.
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
then , im gonna render something small in vegas 7 , until i get 8 , and see what the best settings are for that as well.
What settings do you use for rendering? I'm curious as to both video and audio settings.
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

stephen , last night i captured the same tape using cineform hdv but this time disabled smart rendering and it came out to be 70 gig , instead of 95 gig.
Im gonna get two 500 gigs and raid stripe them so i get a total of 1000 gig and itll be faster and cheaper than just one tarabite drive. Ill put my vegas production .veg files on another drive thats mirrored so i dont loose any information.

Im gonna render a clip in vegas tonight and see what gives me the best possible picture for my jvc 70inch display. my TV takes 1080i so i think ill keep that framerate , but if vegas allows me to change to progressive , ill try that too. My vp50 can take the 1080p and deinterlace it to 1080i for my TV which then converts it back to 1080p. I have a feeling that just leaving it 1080i is better for me because theres less processing invloved........
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
...Im gonna render a clip in vegas tonight and see what gives me the best possible picture for my jvc 70inch display. my TV takes 1080i so i think ill keep that framerate , but if vegas allows me to change to progressive , ill try that too. My vp50 can take the 1080p and deinterlace it to 1080i for my TV which then converts it back to 1080p. I have a feeling that just leaving it 1080i is better for me because theres less processing invloved........
Let me know what render settings (audio as well as video) give you the best sound and video quality!
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

stephen , sorry i havent replied back with some news , ive been busy trying to finish up my kitchen. Im at the end of my remodeling project. I have a copy of vegas 8 pro , so im gonna install it tonight and this weekend do some short editing and rendering. I havent forgotten about you.

Chris
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...