Vegas 4.0 Tutorial? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 26th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas 4.0

Hey I was just wondering if any of you know of any kind of tutorial of vegas 4.0? Im considering on buying it.

TackleQB@aol.com
Jamison Olivieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

ClassonDemand.net has a 4 DVD disc training series. Love it- Can't wait to get thru it and get my hands dirty with Vegas. It's just hard right now becuase ironicly enough as soon as I decide to make the move to Vegas I land all these gigs (3 weddings and a commercial).

Are you switching from another NLE?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Have you looked through the PDF documentation for the demo? It should get you well on your way. As for complete tutorials, try searching the net with Google or dogpile. There should be something out there.

Glen's suggestion of the Class on Demand DVDs may work if you want to get going ASAP and don't mind spending the money for them.

Anyway, I would recommend Vegas 4.0 over just about any other NLE software out there. I guess the exception would be if you can afford Avid's offering. And while I'm on the subject of price and affordability, if you do decide to buy Vegas, then head on over to www.dvdirect.com -- they have it for $269.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #4
Wrangler

Wow thanks for the heads up on DVdirect. They are selling Vegas+DVD for $100 less than B&H is even selling it for!
How reputable are they? Why can they sell it so cheap- is there a catch?
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #5
Major Player

No catch with DV Direct - great shop. B&H just doesn't sell the volume of software that a lot of other places do, so their prices aren't as good. On the other hand, DV Direct has a rather small camcorder selection (mostly from Canon) and they charge full retail or close to it on most models.

DV Direct is just fine, I've bought a few things from them over the past couple years. Including my copy of Vegas.

I would recommend passing on the Vegas+DVD in favor of just purchasing Vegas alone. The reason why is DVD Architect is just a run of the mill PC DVD creation software. If you don't already have a DVD authoring program, then it's probably a good investment. Otherwise I recommend waiting and saving that extra bit of money to put towards Adobe Encore DVD when it comes available in the next few weeks.
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #6
Wrangler

Dont I need DVDarchitech to encode and author 24p, progressive scan DVDs?! I thought it's encoder added the flags for DVD to decipher the original 24 frames and display a true progressive scan image.
If this can be done using vegas to encode and another program like DVDit (which I already have) then I guess I wouldn't need it! I just thought I had to stay in the Vegas/DVDa workflow to have the end result be a progressive scan DVD.
Old June 26th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Dont I need DVDarchitech to encode and author 24p, progressive scan DVDs?! I thought it's encoder added the flags for DVD to decipher the original 24 frames and display a true progressive scan image.
If this can be done using vegas to encode and another program like DVDit (which I already have) then I guess I wouldn't need it! I just thought I had to stay in the Vegas/DVDa workflow to have the end result be a progressive scan DVD. -->>>

No, you don't need DVD Architect! I use Vegas (MainConcept MPEG2 encoder) to encode 24p DVD video streams right there. I author with Pinnacle Impression DVD Pro. I tested the pre-release beta of DVD Architect and found it to be very basic compared to Impression. I think it is pretty similar to DVDit overall.

Now, you will need to make sure that DVDit will not try to re-encode the 24p video stream and futz it all up. If DVDit will do the right thing (which is nothing), then you'll be fine.

Adobe's Encore DVD will be available for pre-order sometime in the next 2 weeks and it is supposed to actually ship this summer. The PC will *finally* have a decent DVD authoring program. Like I said, I use Impression (which is now a dead product) and it's nice, but does have some serious limitations. I also use Apple's DVD Studio Pro for more serious DVD projects, but I haven't tried creating a 24p DVD with it yet.
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #8
Major Player

If you go to
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-menu.htm
you'll find a selection of very good tutorials, a list of sites that has even more Vegas tutorials or where you can exchange Vegas project files (.veg files or veggies as they are sometimes called).

The thing about the Vegas +DVD utility is that it includes the Dolby-certified AC3 encoder which makes the packaged a very good offer - even pricewise.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 07:18 AM   #9
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : ClassonDemand.net has a 4 DVD disc training series. Love it- Can't wait to get thru it ...

Are you switching from another NLE? -->>>

Glen, have you looked through this DVD trainer yet? Just curious if it's any good, since $99.95 for 4 DVDs of training isn't bad, considering a software book usually costs $50.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #10
Major Player

I'm still waiting for the Douglas Spotted Eagle book... It's been on pre order since April, still no stores (online or retail) have it....

I'm going to look at that 4 DVD set, but their site lists Canada shipping at $32 USD!!
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

You can find the Vegas Tips, Tricks, and Scripts newsletter at http://www.jetdv.com/tts.

Also, there are tutorials at
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/tutorials/default.asp
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #12
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi :
Glen, have you looked through this DVD trainer yet? Just curious if it's any good, since $99.95 for 4 DVDs of training isn't bad, considering a software book usually costs $50. -->>>

Yeah I'm on disc 3, and yes it's very good. Granted it's not as thorough as it could be, for example they leave out alot of details regarding certian dialogue boxes ect. Then again it's such a robust program it'd be impossible to cover every aspect of the program...especially in 6 hours!

It does go over the basics of the workflow, and does get into some of the effects settings with video and audio. The audio ones make my head spin, they seem so complicated beings I don't come from an audio background.

DVD/video training is always superior for getting me up to speed with a program. Not only am I absorbing the info they explain but I can visually see the steps they take to reach certian setting ect. Whereas a book may be more detailed it lacks the visual reinforcement of actually seeing someone navigate through the program.

Once I saw they were down to $99 (originally posted @ $129) it didn't even get a second though- I went ahead and ordered them on the SPOT (pun intended) ;)
Old July 11th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #13
RED Code Chef

Vegas tutorial sites:

http://www.wideopenwest.com/%7Ewvg/tutorial-menu.htm
http://www.martyhedler.com/homepage/...Tutorials.html

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #14
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : <<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi :
Glen, have you looked through this DVD trainer yet? Just curious if it's any good, since $99.95 for 4 DVDs of training isn't bad, considering a software book usually costs $50. -->>>

Yeah I'm on disc 3, and yes it's very good. Granted it's not as thorough as it could be, for example they leave out alot of details regarding certian dialogue boxes ect. Then again it's such a robust program it'd be impossible to cover every aspect of the program...especially in 6 hours!

It does go over the basics of the workflow, and does get into some of the effects settings with video and audio. The audio ones make my head spin, they seem so complicated beings I don't come from an audio background.

DVD/video training is always superior for getting me up to speed with a program. Not only am I absorbing the info they explain but I can visually see the steps they take to reach certian setting ect. Whereas a book may be more detailed it lacks the visual reinforcement of actually seeing someone navigate through the program.
-->>>

I bought the set as well, I'm also on disc 3. He gets some of his technical terms wrong, which kinda bothers me coming from a networking background, heh. But other than that I'm learning a lot more this way.

He could probably do another 6 hour series on just the finer editing techniques, I feel as though this set is only brushing the surface - a testiment to Vegas' power.

I cancelled my book order, no one knows what's going on with that.
Old July 11th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #15
Trustee

I ended up buying this DVD set too. I made it through 3 DVDs pretty quickly, and learned quite a bit about where everything is in Vegas. It really is hard to beat visual training. The only reason I haven't gotten to the 4th DVD yet is because I've actually been working on a first project with Vegas, using what I've learned thus far. Which would totally not have been possible with a book. The DVD is just a much faster way to go, at least for me.

I will be tackling the 4th DVD this weekend. Side note, Mr. Spotted Eagle is a pretty good speaker. Wonder what he looks like when he puts down that big tail of Native American hair he's hiding behind his back. Seems like a pretty daunting dude.

Anyway, long story short, if you're just getting into Vegas, this is an excellent tutorial, and really shows quite a bit of power in Vegas, and gets you up and running really fast. I'm very pleased with it, and I'm usually disappointed with such types of training.

Oh, and ClassOnDemand is a great vendor. "Mike" over there really bent over backwards to give me good service and to get me the set quickly so I could get started on my Vegas-powered project.

Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...