DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   pan crop? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/113947-pan-crop.html)

Ian Planchon February 4th, 2008 04:46 PM

pan crop?

anyone know why I am having issues with this. it seems like the pan crop function is really limited, if I want to make 4 boxes, each holding their own video, it seems to work fine, a little tedius, but it works, the trick is when you want just THREE boxes, lets say two on the left side stacked vertically, and one on the right side, in the middle of the screen, the pan crop function makes it almost impossible to do this, how come you cant just make the individual boxes whatever size you want, and then place them wherever you want on the screen? does this make sense? anyone done this before?

Don Bloom February 4th, 2008 07:29 PM

there is a secret. You need to unlock the aspect ratio to be able to adjust the size to anything you want. there are 2 boxes on the side by the properties in the P/C window. One is for aspect ratio and the other is for keeping the center. Unlock the aspect raio and you're set to go.
You might also look at track motion for placement /sizing.

Don

Ian Planchon February 4th, 2008 07:43 PM

yeah, I have used that aspect of the pan/crop function, it just didnt seem to be as free form as I would have liked. I will keep looking at it though.

thanks

Graham Bernard February 5th, 2008 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Planchon (Post 820173)
. . it seems like the pan crop function is really limited,

No it is not. It does what it says: It allows us to Pan across the FULL Frame of a video or CROP the FULL Frame of the video.

Quote:

. . if I want to make 4 boxes, each holding their own video, it seems to work fine, a little tedious, but it works, the trick is when you want just THREE boxes, lets say two on the left side stacked vertically, and one on the right side, in the middle of the screen, the pan crop function makes it almost impossible to do this,

Exactly! You have discovered why Pan/Crop exists. It is for Panning and Cropping AND Zooming. Now because you can zoom OUT and thence appear to be fixing a SMALLER video, what you are doing in essence is a ZOOMED-out Frame. You haven't reduced the SAIZE of the Frame - just a ZOOMED-out or creating wider angle. Not a Smaller video to be moved within 2-d and further 3-d space. So whatever you DO with the ZOOMed out video will still be FULL frame.

Quote:

. . how come you cant just make the individual boxes whatever size you want, and then place them wherever you want on the screen? does this make sense? anyone done this before?

And now this is your realisation. If you want to manipulate in 2-d or 3-d space you need to reduce the actual FRAME size. I do this ALL the time using Track Motion. And it is here that you get the best manipulation of an Event's size.

So use Pan/crop at Event level to Pan/Crop and Event's size and appearance within the FULL frame. Track Motion, can also be for single Events, IF that Event is on its OWN track, at Track Level.

Once you have experimented with Track Motion, and you want to do the same in the future, you will not, use P/C for this result. YES, use P/C for the purposes for which it was intended (panning, cropping zooming-in and zooming-out)- yes. But for full frame, manipulation of Media in a 2-d or 3-d space, getting "boxes" of video stacking or flying through the air - then Track Motion.

You will find the Track Motion Controls within the Track Header. Once you've experienced TM, try out its 3-D options!!!

HTH

Grazie