Cineform issue in Vegas 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 9th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform issue in Vegas 8

Hi,

Just upgraded to HD and Vegas 8. I read that converting the mt2 files to the intermediary Cineform avi codec, and then editing these on the timeline rather than mt2, was more efficient for older computers and virtually lossless. So, I took 1 of my captured mt2 files and rendered it using the Cineform HD v2.8 codec just to see how long it took, file sizes etc. However, the resulting image has loads of blue, red and white dashes across it (see atttached file). Is this normal?

Any ideas what the problem is?
Attached Thumbnails
Cineform issue in Vegas 8-image0.jpg  
Mark Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Not normal, unfrotunately I don' t know way the free version might be doing that. Sony ships a very old version of the CineForm codec, you can upgrade for free to codec version 3.5.x by downloading NEO Player from http://www.cineform.com/products/Dow...layerStart.htm
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Not normal, unfrotunately I don' t know way the free version might be doing that. Sony ships a very old version of the CineForm codec, you can upgrade for free to codec version 3.5.x by downloading NEO Player from CineForm NEO Player
I know this thread is old, but this is still relevant to me. So, when you say you can "upgrade for free to codec version..." Do you mean someone using Vegas 8 and no extra license for Cineform can install the new Neo Player and then Vegas will encode using the newer codec? Or do you only mean that it will use the new codec for decoding only?
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Major Player

While I don't have the blue, red and white dashes I do have poor preview with it. I cannot get full frames rate with it even without any filters.

I can get full frame-rate with M2T files though.

I am using HDLink 3.4.2 build 38 and I even tried to use the NEO player to get the latest codec and it is still quite poor.

So, considering all of the excessive hoops one has to go through to even install this, the high price and the lack of results, I have given up on Cineform altogether.

Maybe if I upgraded to Neo or whatever it is now called for $$$$$$ the problems would be solved but it hardly seems worth it anymore.

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
I know this thread is old, but this is still relevant to me. So, when you say you can "upgrade for free to codec version..." Do you mean someone using Vegas 8 and no extra license for Cineform can install the new Neo Player and then Vegas will encode using the newer codec? Or do you only mean that it will use the new codec for decoding only?
Neo Player provides decoding only.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Do you see these artifacts during playback or in the image file from the screen grab ?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...