Optimizing Widescreen in DVDA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Optimizing Widescreen in DVDA

OK, I'm going to preface this by saying I realize this is a super basic question but I just don't totally get it.

Working with video shot 16:9 HDV and downrezed to 720x480 16:9. The video is mixed with animations with a PAR of 1.0 (if that matters).

When authoring in DVDA it defauts to 720x480 at 4:3. Under optimize I have the option to change that to 16:9. At 4:3 the image fills my entire large HD TV screen and at 16:9 it is letterboxed. Otherwise I don't see much difference in the video. I'd like some advice on which setting to burn the DVD at. I suspect there are differences too subtle for my untrained eyes.

Also, I understand when everyone had square TVs and we'd get the widescreen DVD it would be letterboxed, but now that we have rectangular TVs why does it still letterbox the video? Wasnt that the whole point of making rectangular TVs?

Anyway, I apologize in advance for my ignorance and appreciate any input.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Measel View Post
Working with video shot 16:9 HDV and downrezed to 720x480 16:9. The video is mixed with animations with a PAR of 1.0 (if that matters).
In theory, all media should match your project properties (File - Properties) which, in this case (in Vegas), should be "NTSC DV Widescreen (720x480, 29.970 fps)" with a PAR of "1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen)".
Did you do a "Match Output Aspect" on your animations?

Quote:
When authoring in DVDA it defauts to 720x480 at 4:3.
In DVDA, set your project properties (File - Properties) to "NTSC Widescreen (720x480).

Quote:
Under optimize I have the option to change that to 16:9.
If everything was done right from Vegas (including the bitrate & audio stream), you shouldn't need to optimize anything.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...