Cineform / Workflow Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 20th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform / Workflow Question

So I've got one for you: is there any way to take a project made of, say, HDV clips, and save or render the project so that all clips are converted to the Cineform Intermediate format? Basically, re-rendering all the clips so that one would go from working with HDV to Cineform.....

There must at least be a script to do this....
Mark Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

This can all be done inside of Vegas. Here's how:

1. Drop all of your HDV clips on the timeline end to end
2. Create regions at each of your events on the timeline with the event name (there is a script out there that will do this for you - 'create_regions_from_event_names' - check on the VASST site)
3. Run the "Batch_Render_GUI' from the scripts menu
4. Select the HDV Intermediate of your choice from the Video for windows drop-down tree
5. be sure to select Render Regions at the bottom of the script
6. Choose a render location
7. Press OK!

Be sure to have your project settings set-up to match your footage if you are doing a direct copy to an intermediate.

If you want an easier and faster solution, buy the Cineform NEO-HDV package as it will do batch conversions for you, plus a host of other processing options. It will also capture direct from your HDV cam and convert to the Cineform .avi format on the fly as you capture. I use it everyday, and love it.

Hope it helps!

Lance
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Tourist

Thank you very much.

This is what I have searched for many weeks. In the past, I captured videos by HDVSplit with check on scene split. But when I rendered all the individual mt2 clips into cineform intermediat in Vegas, the rendered file (.avi) became one big file, which I must split again manually (one by one) for further editing. In fact, this meant that I did not need to split scenes at the cature stage.

Now, thanks to your suggestion, I can now convert individual mt2 clips into separate avi intermediate files without having them merged into one big avi file. What you suggested solved all the tedious work I had to do.

Many thanks again.... from Paris.
Taeho Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Lance,
That is exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully Sony will find a way to add a tool to Vegas down the line to simplify this, but it looks like it works this way for now.
Mark Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Spratt View Post
It will also capture direct from your HDV cam and convert to the Cineform .avi format on the fly as you capture. I use it everyday, and love it.
And especially with the latest builds, the files are nicely named: your choice of "base name" with -001, -002, etc appended. Makes organization easy.
Jim Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...