DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Help me CC this please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/115448-help-me-cc-please.html)

Simon Denny February 22nd, 2008 03:26 AM

Help me CC this please

2 Attachment(s)
This is shot with a Sony PD170 and i forgot to white balance when i went inside this tent.
I have tried nurmous times to get the right feel for this but i going mad.
The inside of the tent is white, the plates are white.
There seems to be a cast over the picture but i cant work it out.
Can some one try and CC this and tell me how you did it?
I have used levels to bring the thing into range then i used the three wheel CC and sampled the walls, Curves to adjust the red cast.
Cheers
Simon

Bill Ravens February 22nd, 2008 08:15 AM

Simon...

Good luck! Lately, it seems Vegas has become very unpredictable when it comes to CCing footage. The scopes are wrong and the preview window is wrong. What you get out of Vegas isn't what you see on your screen. I've been going round and round trying to figure this whole thing out, but, Vegas is just pretty badly written in the latest version.

You can try using the color corrector, as you've done, but you've no way of knowing if what you've corrected will come out until the final render. Even after it's rendered, you have to view it on the player to see the result. very hit and miss. Totally unacceptable AFAIK.

Randy Stewart February 22nd, 2008 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Simon,
Here's my attempt. Used levels FX first, then Color Correction to white balance. Levels settings are: input start = .089; input end = .758; output start = 0; output end = .839; gamma = 1.00. On color corrector (3 wheels), they came out as follows: High = Angle 325.0, Magnitude 218.0; Low = Angle 312.5, Magnitude .344. Didn't mess with the mid's or any of the saturation, gain, gamma, etc., settings. Hope this helps a little.
Randy

Simon Denny February 22nd, 2008 04:06 PM

Thanks Bill and Randy for your input.
I will keep going with it.

Cheers
Simon

David Hadden February 23rd, 2008 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How's this for ya, there's still a very slight difference that I can detect but they seem pretty close to me. (just matched on an LCD didn't fire up the Prod. monitor).

Dave

(just put that veg file in the same folder as your pics ( assuming you're using 8.0b) otherwise I can screenshot what I did with the curves filter and you can take a look at that.

Graham Bernard February 23rd, 2008 01:53 AM

Well . . Simon I got your JPG, viewed it and it looks fine? The tent is white. The meet looks sumptuous. What's the problem? I look at Randy's and it looks RED. The tent flaps look pinky - what IS going on?

When I looked at the VEG from David:

1] I don't get the media

2] I swap IN Simon's JPEG into David's Veg and it looks blue.

From what you say, Simon, it is as if Simon's (red) has been swapped to Randy's!

I have NO idea what is happening now!

And yes, I have again re-checked and rolled over both submissions and the reversal of "effects" is still evident.

Grazie

Simon Denny February 23rd, 2008 03:31 AM

Its funny after a few days of not looking at it but i think your right Graham it has a slight blue cast over it.
My color TV monitor has died so i cant see this correctly and i wont trust my Samsung LCD to CC.

Thanks Graham and David for you input.

Cheers
Simon

Don Bloom February 23rd, 2008 07:31 AM

Simon,
The 2 jpegs in your first post-the onwe on the left looks a bit reddish but the one on the right looks pretty much spot on just viewing it on my computer monitor. To me whatever you did there would be right on about 99% of anything it got viewed on. If it were me, I would go with those settings.

Don

Bill Ravens February 23rd, 2008 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just for the fun of it...
here's what I got when I white balanced in Edius...

David Hadden February 23rd, 2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 831252)
2] I swap IN Simon's JPEG into David's Veg and it looks blue.

I changed the file names so it may be that you pointed to the wrong files ( my bad, sorry ).

try flopping them around and they should match up like within a very small range.

Dave

David Hadden February 24th, 2008 12:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I zipped the files that it should be looking for in the zip here, so I think that should clear things up. If you want me to match the warmer one rather than the cooler one, that should be little or no problem.

Dave

David Hadden February 25th, 2008 01:59 PM

just a bump because I want a pat on the back :P (really I'm just wanting to check on whether this worked for you or not).

Dave

Simon Denny February 25th, 2008 04:02 PM

Thanks David,
I cant open the veg file, or sorry an error comes up: The file is an unsupported format.

Regards
Simon

David Hadden February 25th, 2008 07:53 PM

you must be using an older version of Vegas Pro than I am ( are you 7 or 8 (a or b) or an earlier version? )

I'll put up a screen shot of the curves and you can see how I did it. (not on that computer right now).

Dave

Simon Denny February 25th, 2008 10:49 PM

Hi David,
I'm using Vegas 7d so it should load.
Please post your results, i will look forward to them.

Cheers
Simon