DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   HD downconverted, Version 7 or 8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/115967-hd-downconverted-version-7-8-a.html)

Simon Denny February 28th, 2008 02:24 PM

HD downconverted, Version 7 or 8

Having a lot of resoultion problems with version 7d.

Seems HD downconverted into vegas is taking a resoultion hit bad enough as i cant use any footage it's comming out soft,fuzzy and seems outa focus.
What would be causing this problem?

Does the preview out via firewire to camera then S Video to TV take a resoultion hit also?
Even just preview on the PC looks soft with best full.Is this full frame full resoultion?

Any ideas on this or is anyone having the same problem.
I'm using a Sony Z1 recording in HD then downconvert via camera to SD into Vegas

Does Vegas 8 have the same problems? is it worth the up grade.

Regards
Simon

Jerome Cloninger February 28th, 2008 06:11 PM

What do you have the project video settings set to? (Full Resolution Rendering Quality)

Mike Kujbida February 28th, 2008 06:43 PM

While the camera can do the down-convert for you, the standard recommendation is to do it in Vegas.
You have a lot more control (i.e. reframing the shot at any time if you want to) and the final image quality is supposedly better this way.

Simon Denny February 29th, 2008 01:37 AM

Jerome,
Project setting are: PAL DV Widescreen (720x576, 25.000 fps),(Full Resolution Rendering Quality) Best

When i have the footage on the time line and my video preview is set to Preview Auto it's ok but as soon as i drop any efx on to the footage it goes soft,fuzzy and seems outa focus.
Hang on when the preview window is small this happens takes a resoultion hit.(soft,fuzzy and seems outa focus).
But when i double click the preview window (inlarge it's size) the footage seems to clear up although the playback rate drops.

Oh man i just dont know with this one.

What i'm trying to do is get a better playback through to my LCD screen via firewire into a cam, S video to LCD. I have never had this problem before as i never had a wide screen TV.

Thanks Mike i will have to do some testing on that.

Regards
Simon

Jerome Cloninger February 29th, 2008 09:16 AM

Simon,
I tried to preview via LCD and it got fuzzy and such, mainly because it is outputting full rez whatever preview setting you are using. I don't do that anymore, but I do now have a 32" 1080p LCD TV as my main monitor and I have a 7" preview area (give or take).

When I was at Video08 in Orlando, they had the Blackmagic Intensity cards and was playing back HD in preview and it was stunning. Although it was being shown with PRemier Pro, the guy said it would work with Vegas with a little tweaking and such... I plan on doing this sometime soon.

There may be someone who can suggest something, but I don't know. Try using a larger monitor like I have as it suffices very well.

A possible cause is your computer is just not up to speed to scale HD to SD and not playback well enough.... what's your processor type and speed?

Simon Denny February 29th, 2008 05:52 PM

Hey Jerome,
I to have a 32'' 1080i LCD TV screen which i use to monitor but it all looks soft comming outa Vegas via firwire to a little camera and then S- Video out to LCD screen.
How are you monitoring/connecting this to your 32''?
I'm thinking that the Blackmagic Intensity card might be the way to go.
I also think my computer is not up to speed.(P4 3.2G)
I will be upgrading soon to something, not to sure yet if i will go Mac or stay PC, Staying with a PC is a cheaper option for me and i just love Vegas.

Cheers
Simon

Jerome Cloninger February 29th, 2008 06:37 PM

Simon, I'm not using my 32" as a preview monitor, its my MAIN PC monitor. I have DVI output on my video card and just got a DVI to HDMI converter cable (actually came with my Dish Network setup) and hooked up to my computer and changed the desktop resolution to 1920x1080 and whala.

I can definitely see why the preview is soft doing what you were doing. Try hooking up the 32" as your main monitor.

Simon Denny February 29th, 2008 11:54 PM

Thanks Jerome,
I'm using a 22'' Samsung as my PC monitor and this is ok. But will also try the larger TV as my main monitor.

Cheers
Simon