Workflow for 35mm film output from Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 4th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Workflow for 35mm film output from Vegas

I've not found much in this forum so far (unless anyone can point me in the right direction) but does anyone have any advice on shooting hdv24p and then editing in Vegas to go straight to a transfer facility for a 35mm blow up? Any workflow recommendations?

We've been commissioned to produce some cinema commercials and the end product is pretty new to us!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Cineform based workflow is the best :)
Pixel Harvest support film recording directly from CineForm Intermediate files.

Any film recording company accept HDD with your movies encoded to Cineform,
just add to harddrive with movie: Cineform2DPX converter (free!) and Cineform player-decoder (Free!).

You can find more info there: http://cineform.com/products/FilmmakerWorkflow.htm

Good luck!
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Serge,

That's interesting to know. I read with great interest the Cineform material but was slightly concerned by the upconversion from HDV to 1920x1080 YUV 4:2:2 at 10-bits when using Prospect HD (which is what they recommend when going from HDV to film. We'll be shooting 720p at 8bit)

How does this translate? Do you have any experience of shooting 720 then upconverting?

Many thanks again
Stuart
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

a little off topic, but if you ask me, you woudl want to shoot the highest possible resolution ( unless you have some specific need for 720p ) can't remember if the HDV Spec allows for true Progressive 1080 recording. But even still, I'd bet that you'd have a clearer picture recording 1080PsF to film than 720P unless there's some reason that I'm wrong here (someone who knows feel free to correct me, always interested to learn).

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi David,

Yes I totally agree, but as this is a new client with a small budget (this is only local cinema advertising we're talking about here) I'm pointing them in the direction of shooting HDV to keep their costs down.

I discussed our costs to them for us to shoot on DigiBeta etc and they fell off their chairs! So, to keep the business, you always find alternatives!

So, now everyone is happy with the costs of shooting on HDV, we will be using a 720p camera at 24fps. I believe the new Sony EX1 outputs true 1080p, but again, this is not a camera we are interested in getting in right now so it would be something I'd have to hire in and add in all the extra bits to go with it, it soon adds up, even on hire charges for a little camera like that.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...