Sony Vegas 8.0c update wishlist - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
For 9 (I agree that is seems late in the game for 8c since they are working on 9) I'd like to see a titler that had a more logical and intuitive interface that flows with the rest of Vegas.

For me the BIGGIE is I want to render to .flv. If 9 doesn't address that it will unforgivable in my opinion. I hate having to render twice to make a .flv clip.
What I'm sure you're dealing with here, is politics. Adobe doesn't want to help out their competitor and let them render to .flv directly because they want to have the exclusive ability to render to their massively used video format. However you can do what's called frame serving ( install the debugmode frameserver and save to the debugmode avi, it only takes a few seconds to do that), then leave Vegas open and then open that .avi file and tell it to render that as your .flv, it'll just serve all the frames to your .flv encoder and you'll be good to go.

Politics happens when our software is purchased by a big name company, so that's just the way it is ( however the software wouldn't even be there if it weren't for them buying it, so I'm happy they did :) ).

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks David...sounds like a cool little process...I'll try it!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #18
Major Player

Let me export an XDcam-HD file through "Render As" and not just in the "print to disc" option.

Let me mark clips (colored outline would be cool) in the bins.

Better multicore processing.

Turn down your Sony-Exclusive stance and play nice with some other codecs (Like, I don't know... DVCproHD?!).
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennis Hahn View Post
Let me export an XDcam-HD file through "Render As" and not just in the "print to disc" option.

Let me mark clips (colored outline would be cool) in the bins.

Better multicore processing.

Turn down your Sony-Exclusive stance and play nice with some other codecs (Like, I don't know... DVCproHD?!).
Hey Bennis, I'd make sure you know what you're saying when you accuse Sony Creative Software of beIng the problem. Last I knew, they were trying to get the codec support, and panasonic refused to play ball. (I won't say which forum i saw this conversation on) I read a conversation from SCS big wigs and a Panasonic person and right there infront of everyone, SCS offered to play ball, and the panny person wouldn't go for it. So I'd suggest you place the blame squarely where it's due, and not just assume that it's Sony ( we all know what ass-u-m(e)ing does:) ).

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #20
Regular Crew

My only request for 8.0c is full-support of AVCHD (wether it comes from a Sony, Panasonic, or Canon camcorder, interlaced/progressive).
Robin Lobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #21
Major Player

How about the ability to apply effects to all events associated with a given piece of media. This will then let you remove effect for individual events. This would be different to applying effects to the media itself.

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #22
Trustee

Ian, I was just going to write that. The ability to add selective events to be copied and pasted rather then everything (paste events). Premiere has had it since 5 or 6 (when I used to use it) and I have questioned about it in the past - I hope it finally gets put into action. I am no programmer, so it probably isn't something easy, but it would be a great help.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Ian and David, what a great addition that feature would be!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #24
Major Player

An actual Source Monitor in addition to the trimmer, or replace that POS altogether. If Sony wants to win over Premiere users, they should do this. This was the biggest setback in my trial of Vegas. I've actually programmed macros on my ShuttlePro2 to help emulate a Source Monitor in the trimmer, still very lacking though. This is where Vegas kills my flow, esp when dealing with long clips and need to perform 3-point edits.

The ability to lock tracks.

The ability to disable FX preview on imported projects.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch View Post
An actual Source Monitor in addition to the trimmer, or replace that POS altogether.
I can't speak for anyone else but it's extremely rare for me to use the trimmer.
I had this feature on my dps Velocity and, once again, rarely used it.
I prefer to do all my trimming directly on the timeline.

Quote:
This is where Vegas kills my flow, esp when dealing with long clips and need to perform 3-point edits.
Is this what you want?

Hold down CTRL+Alt with the cursor positioned over the jumpcut, and drag.
You'll see the out point of the left event move to the right, and the in
point of
the right event move right/later too. Or, go the other way, and drag to the
left,
you'll see the in/out point change.
Rolling Edits in Vegas are easy, just not well known.
You can also slip edit an event, by holding ALT and dragging inside the
event. You'll see the cursor change to a box w/ two arrows inside it.

Quote:
The ability to lock tracks.
Select clips to be locked.
Right-click on any one of them.
Switches - Lock.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments. Doing 3-point edits from a source monitor is much more efficient for me especially with long clips instead of cutting on the timeline, to each their own. With Premiere, I started out doing all of my edits on the timeline but in time I became more efficient by using the source monitor and 3-point edits (Mark the In-point, Out-point, Insert to timeline). There would be no harm in having an adequate Source Monitor in Vegas, in fact it may help draw more Premiere users that are sick of instability and poor performance. If using a Source Monitor or Trimmer isn't your thing, then don't use it, but for those who do, it would be nice.

I'm familiar with rolling and sliding edits but did not know about the clip lock feature, thanks for that but being able to lock the Track itself would still be useful. Thanks.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Kevin, Sony just came out with an article titled "Discovering the Sony Vegas Pro Trimmer window that might be of some interest to you.
AFAIK, the trimmer functions haven't changed for a long time so this article will be useful even to previous version owners.
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #28
Tourist

my 5 cents

For me personally, the most wanted and long-awaited features are (1) support of YUV color space, and (2) a 'Match Frame' function. First is a must, while second is only helpful for those trying to cope with huge number of source footages without having to remember which parts of them have already been used in the project and which haven't yet.

Other than that, Vegas is unique in the combination of vast capabilites and simple intuitive truly user-friendly interface it offers.
Gleb Rysanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Gleb, use the "View - Edit Details" function in Vegas.
With 1 or 2 clicks. it'll give you a count as to how many times a particular clip has been used and where on the timeline it was used.
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #30
Tourist

Thanks, Mike, I know that. This option, though, doesn't show which portion of the source has been used. Sometimes it gets messy on the timeline and I'm having hard time remembering whether I have used these particular frames already or not, even if I know from the Vegas' details that the source itself has been used N times.
Gleb Rysanov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...