Sony Vegas 8.0c update wishlist at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 5th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Vegas 8.0c update wishlist

I'll start of with what I think is the most important item!

- an update that will enable users to downsize HD or HDV footage to SD MPEG 2 with much more accurate and eye-pleasing results. At present, high end SD cameras such as the DSR-450 are producing much nicer images on SD DVD than downconverted HD from the EX1. This is purely a workflow problem rather than a camera problem because the native HD footage looks stunning.

Sony need to look at their resizing algorithms. Also, a solution would need to render out within in a reasonable time.

Any more suggestions for an update wishlist?
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #2
Trustee

The ability to lower blacks,midtones,hightones with a slider in Color Corrector just like in FCP Studio 2.
Auto white balance.
Better Preview quality in real time.

I think thats it for now?

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #3

In no particular order:
1-A customer support policy from Sony that exists.
2-Preview window that represents colors something like the final output
3-Scopes that aren't wrong
3a-scopes that display whether they are showing REC601 or REC709
4-Documentation as to what 32 bit FP is about....when to use it
4a-A warning indicator of processing mode, 8bit or 32bitFP
4b-a warning indicator of scope mode, studio or computer RGB
5-Automation of color space so it matches the input color space a codec expects to see.
6-An option to process in YUV instead of RGB(never happen with Vegas)
7-Correction of an endless number of bugs and glitches, like dropped frames from m2t files.

Last edited by Bill Ravens; March 5th, 2008 at 10:29 AM.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I echo what Bill has mentioned.

My biggest want in a fix...

Get Canon 24f capture working!! I want to sell off my Vegas 7 version and not have the hassle of having to flip between the two simply to capture 24F footage from the XHA1.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Plugin support

Support for third party plugins that is not so limited. This has been an issue for a long time now and it would be nice to see it resolved.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
The ability to lower blacks,midtones,hightones with a slider in Color Corrector just like in FCP Studio 2.
Offset, gain, and gamma will do the same thing. Though in Vegas you may have to "juggle" the interface/GUI controls (more so if working studio RGB). e.g. altering gain will mean that you might need to change Offset in the Color Corrector FX.

Personally I would prefer to use Levels (or curves)... because the offset/gamma/gain in the Color Corrector can sometimes cause color shifts. e.g. if you cut gain by half, you need to change saturation by the same amount to maintain the same colors (as in the same purity/saturation of the colors... otherwise they are too pure/saturated in the other sense of saturation).
That's the same idea in FCP, though in FCP it might be easier not to use Levels.

Quote:
Auto white balance.
It's there in Vegas if you use the eyedroppers. You can drag-select areas with the eyedroppers in the Color Corrector FX.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Trustee

Play interlaced smoother,especially when i preview on 2nd monitor.Every other player i've got manages it.
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Major Player

-Undo inside of Filters to see changes
-Better Source Control in the Trimmer Window
-Insert after/before Cursor with Ripple Edit insertion does not ripple the clip in the timeline you're inserting into, but ripples the rest of the timeline unless you split first.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks Glenn,
Yeah i know i can do it that way i'm just being lazy.
One thing with levels is, if i want to lower my blacks and just my blacks what is the best option? the input slider or gamma.
And with reducing black levels whats the best option for then adjusting my high tones back.
With so many tools in Vegas it's hard to know which tool is the correct one to use.

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Might also be nice to see building of peak files make multi-threaded in order to take advantage of all available CPU cores.

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm no wizz editor and

I love the way Vegas works but a lot of frustrations still.
a) More Stability
b) better preview frame rates which means better gpu utilization for mpeg decoding
c) Proper BlueRay support for DVDA as well so we can actually deliver our HD products as HD
d) a vastly improved titler which doesn't crash every other time you use it, and better/more powerful titling including 3d capability
e)Now I might be wrong, but I think I read that you can't edit 4:2:2 here? Especially with the new HD XDCam coming out 4:2:2. Also Convergent design type products will necessitate such support. I know you can export it in YUV uncompressed, but basically something to really bring Vegas to the table when your talking movie realease etc. Maybe it's own native 10bit codec like Edius to get rid of banding etc.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch View Post
e)Now I might be wrong, but I think I read that you can't edit 4:2:2 here? Especially with the new HD XDCam coming out 4:2:2. Also Convergent design type products will necessitate such support.
I'm pretty sure that's not true, (in fact I'll say I'm 99% sure its' not) as you would see the poor color sampling on gen media no matter what output you sent it to. And if you push it out to Uncompressed AVI that should be 4:4:4.

Anyway, you guys are WAYYY to late to be requesting 8c - try 9 because this *might* be in time to get into the planning for Vegas 9 changes.

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
One thing with levels is, if i want to lower my blacks and just my blacks what is the best option? the input slider or gamma.
And with reducing black levels whats the best option for then adjusting my high tones back.
It should be input start and output end.

If you throw the gradient media generator on the timeline and play around with levels, you should have a good idea of what's happening because you can look at the scopes.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #14
Regular Crew

still waiting

I have asked since ver 3.0 to have the ability to storyboard clips in bins, the ability to right click hold to activate ripple mode in the time line, and to put a colored border around clips in a bin that have been used in the movie.
Its hard to let go of these ideas since i have been using them in other NLE's for over 10 years.
Jay Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #15
Inner Circle

For 9 (I agree that is seems late in the game for 8c since they are working on 9) I'd like to see a titler that had a more logical and intuitive interface that flows with the rest of Vegas.

For me the BIGGIE is I want to render to .flv. If 9 doesn't address that it will unforgivable in my opinion. I hate having to render twice to make a .flv clip.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...