Avi rendered is blank! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Trustee

Avi rendered is blank!

Hi folks. I am attempting to render my edits for CC+compositing in AE CS3. I tried rendering to m2t but AE doesn't like em. WMV HD works well but there are losses in quality. I read somewhere avi is good. However, my rendered output is blank! Am I missing something? I am using the native settings in Vegas Pro 8. Please help!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Sean

What do you mean by blank? do you have sound and no pictures? neither one of them? How did you try to view the avi after it was rendered?

Matthew
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #3

Sean, are you sure you didn't have the track muted? To what format are you rendering?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi DSE! Long time no see. I am sure I did not mute the track. All I did was to drag the m2t (single clip) to the timeline and click "render to" avi. I imported the track to AE CS3.0 and it was blank. No sound and image. Which setting of avi should I use to preserve the highest quality? I'm at work now so I cant remb which setting I used. I will check later.

I wanted to use m2t but it did not work well with AE. Some strange green pixels r appearing n I'm waiting for Adobe's advise.
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Strictly for quality purposes I render to default uncompressed .avi. The files are huge, like 8-10 GB for 3-5 minute clip (in SD) but the quality is best. I had not thought there was much difference from other settings but upon close examination I found there is indeed a difference.

I have had your experience with rendering blank clips, but I can't for the life of me remember what the problem was. I will mull it over but that happened so long ago...if I can remember details I will post. Good luck!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #6

So the video likely isn't blank, it's just that AE can't read it. Have you opened that file in WMP or Vegas?
MXF, Sequential TGA are both good export formats for AE from Vegas, as is uncompressed if you have the time.
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Trustee

i tried the uncompressed avi.. it works now. However it crashes the AE.. man looks like wmv is the best for me!
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #8

If you're compositing, wmv is your WORST choice.
Try sequential TGA, it's in the Quicktime options.
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Trustee

Yeah I guessed.. still waiting for Adobe chaps to say something! Driving me nuts.. ok, I will try the quicktime sequential TGA. Thanks a lot Spot.

BTW, could I check if Particle illusion should work with quicktime sequential as well? I'm considering to the sw but have not had a chance to test it yet
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Had a similar thing once. Rendered to uncompressed AVI, worked fine until I moved the file to anther machine and all I got was sound, no picture! Had to install a codec to view the AVI in that format! The things we wish we knew before hand aye!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
If you're compositing, wmv is your WORST choice.
Try sequential TGA, it's in the Quicktime options.

I got the rendering done under quicktime, Video Format option: TGA

Works in AE BUT the aspect ratio is off.. pretty strange. I think it became 4:# within Vegas itself. HAve to meddle with the settings. Project file is set to HDV 1440x1080 50i

Last edited by Sean Seah; March 10th, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...