HELP!!! Big Problem with Vegas...... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 9th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HELP!!! Big Problem with Vegas......

Sorry to bother you guys. I don;t know what I did...thats if it was me or its the program. But this camcorder( Canon HG10) is really getting on my nerves. OK. I went to the park and took some video. Download the files inot a folder on my computers hardrive. Opend Vegas 8.0 Pro, went to the explorer section of Vegas 8.0. Opened said folder and my footage is there but I can't see it. Meaning, beofre I would get a thumbnail(with a pic) of my footage. Now I have either a WINDVD icon or some other type of Icon representing the certain event.
How do I convert this so I can see what I'm working with> I didn;t have this problem before. I'm screwed because for me to play each event in order to determine which one to place in the timeline I'll be here forever. Please Help....advice needed dearly.
Tom Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Marks View Post
Sorry to bother you guys. I don;t know what I did...thats if it was me or its the program. But this camcorder( Canon HG10) is really getting on my nerves. OK. I went to the park and took some video. Download the files inot a folder on my computers hardrive. Opend Vegas 8.0 Pro, went to the explorer section of Vegas 8.0. Opened said folder and my footage is there but I can't see it. Meaning, beofre I would get a thumbnail(with a pic) of my footage. Now I have either a WINDVD icon or some other type of Icon representing the certain event.
How do I convert this so I can see what I'm working with> I didn;t have this problem before. I'm screwed because for me to play each event in order to determine which one to place in the timeline I'll be here forever. Please Help....advice needed dearly.
As long as your files actually work on the T/L ( you could just throw them all on the T/L and do your sorting there by tossing a muted track up and putting them all there, and then you'll see thumnails of everything and be able to just move them down to another track that you're working on.

I've seen this happen too, not sure what the problem is, but I've never seen it happen in the media bin.

If it doesn't play back on the T/L then for some reason you've got files that aren't compatible with Vegas ( have they worked before in vegas? ) I know that Canon does some stupid stuff with their files that seems to cause problems with Vegas. I've not used the HG10 before so I can't say for sure if the files from that cam will work properly or not.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd go to "my computer" - Tools - "Folder options" - "file types" - find extention of your captured video clips and choose "opens with" windows media player and click change
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Opend Vegas 8.0 Pro, went to the explorer section of Vegas 8.0. Opened said folder and my footage is there but I can't see it. Meaning, beofre I would get a thumbnail(with a pic) of my footage.
I don't think so Tom? I have NEVER been able to get a thumbnail in Vegas Explorer. You have? Interesting. I can get Thumbnails in Project Media, but not Vegas Explorer.

Quote:
Now I have either a WINDVD icon or some other type of Icon representing the certain event.
How do I convert this so I can see what I'm working with> I didn;t have this problem before. I'm screwed because for me to play each event in order to determine which one to place in the timeline I'll be here forever.
Regarding the ICON of your choice, Marius has your answer above.

Quote:
Please Help....advice needed dearly.
I now use Media Manager for exactly this reason: Needing to see and audition clips for selection prior to placing in Project Media and Bins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Davidson View Post
I've seen this happen too, not sure what the problem is, but I've never seen it happen in the media bin.
David, Tom is talking about the Vegas Explorer Window. However, if not seeing the first frame, within Project Media, then try changing the view from DETAILED or LIST to THUMBNAIL view.

HTH

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
I now use Media Manager for exactly this reason: Needing to see and audition clips for selection prior to placing in Project Media and Bins.

David, Tom is talking about the Vegas Explorer Window. However, if not seeing the first frame, within Project Media, then try changing the view from DETAILED or LIST to THUMBNAIL view.

HTH

Grazie
Yep, I was thinking that he meant the media bin. Good catch Graz
David Hadden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...