DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Help - Slow motion for music video question... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/116965-help-slow-motion-music-video-question.html)

James Binder March 14th, 2008 01:56 AM

Help - Slow motion for music video question...

I have some footage shot HDV 60i with 120 shutter speed from which I would like to get the smoothest slow motion possible (50%).

Can someone take me through the steps involved? What are the best clip and project settings?

I’ve done quite a bit of reading, but the threads all say different things…

What’s the best way to do this in Vegas?

This is for a music video that will be created as a 24p project. And to complicate matters, the singer will be singing with a track of the song sped up 100% (to match a 50% post slowdown -- I assume? or is that wrong for 24p?)

Thanks

Note: Do I need to de-interlace to 60p? I use Neo and it appears that I can select ‘deinterlace 1080i sources’ upon capture.

Chris Wysocki March 14th, 2008 09:59 AM

i use ( insert velocity envelope) thats the easiest way

Chris Barcellos March 14th, 2008 10:24 AM

The way I would do it:

1. Project settings should be in 1080i

2. Edit your project, final it, and render it to the 1080i 60 FPS Cineform Codec.

3. Open HD Link, choose convert, put the settings at 24p, remove pulldown, and deinterlace.

Test all of this before on a short clip to see if you like it.

If you were limiting yourself to a 20% slow down, I would do a 24p project and render directly to 24p, after slowing it down 20 %. I think that would work because each frame of 30 (60i) fps would be used in the slowed down time line.

As far a music track, no sure what you are asking.

James Binder March 14th, 2008 03:17 PM

Thanks Chris and Chris

My situation is that I need to slow down the footage of the singer in post by 50% in order to have the singers lips match the tempo of the music/vocal – all the while achieving a fluid slow motion effect. In order to achieve this I will have the singer sing to a special created music track sped up to 200% while shooting. Afterward and again, I will slow the footage down by 50% in post. Hopefully, and by what I’ve read on the boards, it will match up.

Question: How does all of this work when I want to end up with a 24p project/output?!

1080i shot at 60 fps and shutter1/120…

It seems that if I slow down the footage 50% in post, I am now at a frame rate of roughly 30fps – no? I’m not sure if that will work in a 24p project.

Or, do I need to slow down the footage to another percentage? Again, the percent however needs to match the same amount that I speed up the music/vocal during shooting.

Any thoughts, tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated…

David Hadden March 14th, 2008 06:38 PM

Either a bit of math, or let Vegas do the 24p business for you and simply render out to 24p with pulldown from your 60i project, thus doing everything the same as you have figured out (certainly the simplest method, and probably the easiest to implement etc... w/o problems).

that's what I'd do at least.

Shoot at 60i, to music that is playing back at double speed, then stretch the 60i video to 50% playback rate ( or use a velocity envelope to do it ), and sync it up that way.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Binder (Post 842614)
Thanks Chris and Chris

My situation is that I need to slow down the footage of the singer in post by 50% in order to have the singers lips match the tempo of the music/vocal – all the while achieving a fluid slow motion effect. In order to achieve this I will have the singer sing to a special created music track sped up to 200% while shooting. Afterward and again, I will slow the footage down by 50% in post. Hopefully, and by what I’ve read on the boards, it will match up.

Question: How does all of this work when I want to end up with a 24p project/output?!

1080i shot at 60 fps and shutter1/120…

It seems that if I slow down the footage 50% in post, I am now at a frame rate of roughly 30fps – no? I’m not sure if that will work in a 24p project.

Or, do I need to slow down the footage to another percentage? Again, the percent however needs to match the same amount that I speed up the music/vocal during shooting.

Any thoughts, tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated…

James Binder March 15th, 2008 11:15 AM

David --

Thanks for the feedback -- much appreciated.

Anyone else have any tips or additional thoughts regarding the above?

I use NEO to capture my footage and it has a option to deinterlace 1800i upon capture. Good idea? (again, I'm shooting 60i)

Thanks again...

Joe Busch March 21st, 2008 09:22 AM

I get perfect 50% slow motion...

My project settings are

Field Order - Progressive
Deinterlace Method - Interpolate Fields

And whatever clip you want to slowdown, right click and set to .500 playback rate...

http://lousyhero.com/blaze/dredgintro.wmv

Is an example, just something I had thrown together, not finished in anyway, but it shows going from 50% to 100% motion, you can't really see anything until ~ 20 seconds

But it's as good as you can get out of 60i imo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YQ6ILfIFA&fmt=18

Another example (ignoring the first 40 seconds, that was .250 and it looks weird)

Since you're trying to do 24p I think .400 might make more sense... but it's the wrong speed?

Richard Hunter March 21st, 2008 11:08 AM

It's not so easy to get smooth 24p from 30p footage and it seems a shame to put in so much effort and compromise the final output quality. Is it possible to shoot the 60i footage using a music track that is sped up to 60/24 i.e. 2.5 times? By deinterlacing the 60i to 60p and slowing it down to 24P you should be able to get great slo-mo and still sync to the original speed music. Vegas can do this OK, but the very best results I've seen were with Avisynth or After Effects.

Richard