Help - Slow motion for music video question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 14th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Help - Slow motion for music video question...

I have some footage shot HDV 60i with 120 shutter speed from which I would like to get the smoothest slow motion possible (50%).

Can someone take me through the steps involved? What are the best clip and project settings?

I’ve done quite a bit of reading, but the threads all say different things…

What’s the best way to do this in Vegas?

This is for a music video that will be created as a 24p project. And to complicate matters, the singer will be singing with a track of the song sped up 100% (to match a 50% post slowdown -- I assume? or is that wrong for 24p?)

Thanks

Note: Do I need to de-interlace to 60p? I use Neo and it appears that I can select ‘deinterlace 1080i sources’ upon capture.
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i use ( insert velocity envelope) thats the easiest way
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The way I would do it:

1. Project settings should be in 1080i

2. Edit your project, final it, and render it to the 1080i 60 FPS Cineform Codec.

3. Open HD Link, choose convert, put the settings at 24p, remove pulldown, and deinterlace.

Test all of this before on a short clip to see if you like it.

If you were limiting yourself to a 20% slow down, I would do a 24p project and render directly to 24p, after slowing it down 20 %. I think that would work because each frame of 30 (60i) fps would be used in the slowed down time line.

As far a music track, no sure what you are asking.
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Chris and Chris

My situation is that I need to slow down the footage of the singer in post by 50% in order to have the singers lips match the tempo of the music/vocal – all the while achieving a fluid slow motion effect. In order to achieve this I will have the singer sing to a special created music track sped up to 200% while shooting. Afterward and again, I will slow the footage down by 50% in post. Hopefully, and by what I’ve read on the boards, it will match up.

Question: How does all of this work when I want to end up with a 24p project/output?!

1080i shot at 60 fps and shutter1/120…

It seems that if I slow down the footage 50% in post, I am now at a frame rate of roughly 30fps – no? I’m not sure if that will work in a 24p project.

Or, do I need to slow down the footage to another percentage? Again, the percent however needs to match the same amount that I speed up the music/vocal during shooting.

Any thoughts, tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated…
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Either a bit of math, or let Vegas do the 24p business for you and simply render out to 24p with pulldown from your 60i project, thus doing everything the same as you have figured out (certainly the simplest method, and probably the easiest to implement etc... w/o problems).

that's what I'd do at least.

Shoot at 60i, to music that is playing back at double speed, then stretch the 60i video to 50% playback rate ( or use a velocity envelope to do it ), and sync it up that way.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Binder View Post
Thanks Chris and Chris

My situation is that I need to slow down the footage of the singer in post by 50% in order to have the singers lips match the tempo of the music/vocal – all the while achieving a fluid slow motion effect. In order to achieve this I will have the singer sing to a special created music track sped up to 200% while shooting. Afterward and again, I will slow the footage down by 50% in post. Hopefully, and by what I’ve read on the boards, it will match up.

Question: How does all of this work when I want to end up with a 24p project/output?!

1080i shot at 60 fps and shutter1/120…

It seems that if I slow down the footage 50% in post, I am now at a frame rate of roughly 30fps – no? I’m not sure if that will work in a 24p project.

Or, do I need to slow down the footage to another percentage? Again, the percent however needs to match the same amount that I speed up the music/vocal during shooting.

Any thoughts, tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated…
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Major Player

David --

Thanks for the feedback -- much appreciated.

Anyone else have any tips or additional thoughts regarding the above?

I use NEO to capture my footage and it has a option to deinterlace 1800i upon capture. Good idea? (again, I'm shooting 60i)

Thanks again...
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Major Player

I get perfect 50% slow motion...

My project settings are

Field Order - Progressive
Deinterlace Method - Interpolate Fields

And whatever clip you want to slowdown, right click and set to .500 playback rate...

http://lousyhero.com/blaze/dredgintro.wmv

Is an example, just something I had thrown together, not finished in anyway, but it shows going from 50% to 100% motion, you can't really see anything until ~ 20 seconds

But it's as good as you can get out of 60i imo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YQ6ILfIFA&fmt=18

Another example (ignoring the first 40 seconds, that was .250 and it looks weird)

Since you're trying to do 24p I think .400 might make more sense... but it's the wrong speed?
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Trustee

It's not so easy to get smooth 24p from 30p footage and it seems a shame to put in so much effort and compromise the final output quality. Is it possible to shoot the 60i footage using a music track that is sped up to 60/24 i.e. 2.5 times? By deinterlacing the 60i to 60p and slowing it down to 24P you should be able to get great slo-mo and still sync to the original speed music. Vegas can do this OK, but the very best results I've seen were with Avisynth or After Effects.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...