DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Video in Potrait mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/117144-video-potrait-mode.html)

John Woo March 16th, 2008 09:03 PM

Video in Potrait mode

Last week, I shot a fashion show on HDV mode and yesterday the client told me the plasma TV on their shop which will screen the show footage will be hung vertically. Does that means my video will have to be edited in 'potrait mode' or is there a setting on the Plasma TV which will resize my video accordingly? If it is the former, how should I edit the video? Is there a template for 9:16 instead of 16:9 or should I use 16:9 and crop the video throughout. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I am on Vegas pro 8

Dave Blackhurst March 16th, 2008 11:23 PM

well, that's one way to get skinny models...

You probably should scope out the display setup before you edit, sounds sort of unusual.

My offhand guess is you'll have to "flip" your 16x9 ratio and MAKE SURE WHICH END IS UP!

I'm guessing this is a fashion industry thing, probably a fully custom install, so you'll need to accomodate - probably would have been handy to know BEFORE you shot... cropping is going to kill your resolution, even with HD source. Strangely I was contemplating shooting in portrait mode earlier today, but nothing quite like THIS...

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 17th, 2008 01:25 AM

In Vegas Pro 8, you can set the display to be vertical vs horizontal in both the Project Properties, and in the media properties. Set em' both at 90, assuming you've acquired footage at 90. I have a stream on YouTube showing exactly how to do this, but it's essentially just setting up a 90 degree project and using a 90 degree on your media. That's it.

John Woo March 17th, 2008 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 843692)
In Vegas Pro 8, you can set the display to be vertical vs horizontal in both the Project Properties, and in the media properties. Set em' both at 90, assuming you've acquired footage at 90. I have a stream on YouTube showing exactly how to do this, but it's essentially just setting up a 90 degree project and using a 90 degree on your media. That's it.

tks for the reply. I am new to Vegas pro 8, can you elaborate a bit on how to set vertical vs horizontal in the project properties and when you said 90 degree, do you mean rotate the media by 90 degree.

I tried to search your name on youtube but couldn't find that video, If you can point me to the URL would be great. Tks again

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 17th, 2008 10:06 AM

Digital Signage in Vegas Pro 8 from DSE/VASST. I hope it helps you get it done!

John Woo March 17th, 2008 11:54 AM

but my original footage was shot on landscape and not potrait mode, what can i do now? Any other way out?

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 17th, 2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Woo (Post 843891)
but my original footage was shot on landscape and not potrait mode, what can i do now? Any other way out?

yeah, you can divide the screen into thirds, and put other info in the upper/lower thirds. That's about it.

John Woo March 17th, 2008 12:33 PM

Please bear with me a bit, I don't really understand what you meant, care to elaborate a little more. Thank you very much.

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 17th, 2008 12:38 PM

Your image, if shot in HD, will fill only 1/3 of the vertical display, right? That leaves you with 2/3 of empty screen. Usually this is divided top/middle/bottom, and your primary image would go in the middle, therefore leaving you empty top and empty bottom. Make sense?

John Woo March 17th, 2008 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the final video will only show the middle third with the top and bottom third showing in black? I have attached a pic, does it look like what you mentioned?

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 17th, 2008 01:37 PM

Yup, that's exactly what I was talking about. you can now fill in the top and bottom with other media.

John Woo March 17th, 2008 10:13 PM

is there anyway I can crop and fill the entire vertical screen with just the model walking down the runway?

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 17th, 2008 11:00 PM

Not if you want it to look decent, no. It'll be VERY soft and pixelated, and depending on the source, it might even not be recognizable.

David Hadden March 18th, 2008 12:14 AM

If I were you I'd loop a series of artsy style fashion images/video and text etc... behind it ( make sure your client won't be put off by this first maybe, course he was the one who had you shoot the show and *then* told you it would be Vertical not horizontal :) ). and so on. (btw, next time you shoot one of these I'd be happy to help ;-), course my wife might not be happy with me saying that :P so it's probably in my best interest to not :)

Dave

George Kroonder March 18th, 2008 07:49 AM

For in-store display your viewers will have attention spans of seconds so you can be quite bold and flashy to get their attention (do get your client to sign off on anything though).

The viewers may not be directly in front of the screens; these may be higer up or behind a counter. The farther the distance between viewer and screen the more you can get away with some up-rezing.

I would use a bold (maybe moving) background and type, then possibly use short inserts and clips with the actual footage. If there were stills available (at higher res) you can see if those can be used as well.

George/