Editing Sony F350 material at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 17th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing Sony F350 material

Hi, I'm gonna make a music video in april that will be (probably) shooted with the Sony F350. I know the camera is one of the best but that's my problem:
Even if we have this camera with don't have moneys to work and edit in a studio :( so I was thinking that a solution would be to pay one day of studio editing and donwconvert the material so i can work with vegas at home, make an avid legacy save, come back to studio with the cuts enjoying the full quality of sony f350.
If that's possible can anyone explain me what are the fundamental rules on editing (like the film) to correctly obtain a list of cuts that can be imported on another systems?
The real problem is time, the video will be shooted the 10 of april and must be ready the 25 of april.
Another solution would be to choose a compression, working editing and finalizing with that.
Thank you for future suggestions : )
Marco Maiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Errata corrige the cam is the sony f23! That's the problem...
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Major Player

What are you shooting in 23.98, 24fps 25fps?
What is your delivery requirement, what format will you be mastering on and delivering on?

This is a nice piece of kit. You'll enjoy using it.

Personally speaking I'd be looking to do an Offline edit with Vegas and then give your offline EDLs to an Online facility. (depending on your output of course).

Stuart
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,
We can have the cam for free so the director of photography thinks that can be a good idea to shoot with this cam.
I'm not convinced yet because of all the problems that we can have in editing and post production.
The destination of the video is television (like MTV italia or All Music).
The video is only a playback so if we don't commit errors compositing and color correction are not necessary but possible...
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I recently edited some HDCAM material. The solution was to have it captured to a USB drive as uncompressed AVIs. (Eventualy, that is... The local house with an HDCAM deck is a Mac shop, so the files were uncompressed mov files that I converted to AVIs with After Effects. I also needed a Mac-drive-on-a-PC utility, since the post house had to format the USB drive to the Mac format to work with large files. The workflow is *much* simpler when captured by a PC to AVI files.)

The key is to have a fast RAID-0. I have a 4-drive RAID from Micronet that will playback uncompressed 1080i or 720p in real time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...