FX Bypass on Imported Projects? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 25th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Major Player

FX Bypass on Imported Projects?

I imported a Vegas Project that has full CC and other adjustments. How can I bypass the FX in the hosting project? The split screen view has no effect. Thanks.
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

next to the split screen icon on the preview monitor is an icon to bypass fx.
Also on the track header there's an icon to do the same.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Connected to the "Split Screen" button is an arrow pointing down. Click on that arrow and make sure "Bypass FX" is chosen and then make sure "Split Screen" is turned on. You should then no longer see the FX. In fact, one frequently asked question is "why can't I see my effects?" because they've pushed this button at some point.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys for the replies, but I'm experiencing something else. I've imported a CCed Vegas project into another project. My playback in the hosting project is not the best due to the CC and other adjustments done in the imported project. I cannot bypass the FX on the imported project. FX Bypassed is on. If I apply a new CC filter to the imported project, I can toggle that FX on and off with the Split Screen View, but the native filters to the imported project remain on. Any ideas? Thanks.

Kevin
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Did you import the original veg file or an already rendered AVI?
If it was the original veg file, (once it's in your new project) right-click on it, select the "Edit in Vegas (projectname.veg)" option, turn off the FX and re-save it under a new name.
When you go back to your existing project, replace the old veg with the new renamed one.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Ah, I misread the first post. You imported the project-meaning it's not in the original VEG file. Once it's been rendered to any format and you bring it back into Vegas the effects are there and there is no way to shut them off. You can do that on the VEG file but if you aren't working with that, then you can't. At least not any way that I have found.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Nothing has been rendered. Veg file has been imported. To see what I'm talking about start a Vegas project, import any clip, add some effects. Now start a new project and import the project you just created. See if you can bypass the FX on the imported project after putting it into your timeline.
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Kevin, you can't do what you want by using nested vegs (what you're doing).
As I said earlier, the only way is to open the original project, turn off all FX, resave it under a new name and import this new (non CC'd) veg file.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Major Player

Wow, that is very limiting. Thanks for the reply.

Kevin
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #10
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch View Post
Wow, that is very limiting.
Not really.

The purpose of Nests - using imported Veggies ON the timeline - is that you HAVE a discreet, complete "other" project now WITHIN a main project. "limiting" ? Far from it. I find NESTS and the way it keeps ALL my "other" work precisely in place a very open and responsive way achieving the sequencing, in a sane and organised way.

The project I am working on, has about 30 tracks. It includes Nests of "other" projects which have up to 10 tracks of composited GenMed. These have FXs and the like - and yes CC/CGrad in them. All I need to do to EDIT/Adjust this nest, is the Right Click and "Edit . . . ". Do my thing there, go Save and the NESTED project in the MAIN is updated.

Now, if bypass of CC/Grading WAS available from within the MAIN project, what else would you like to have made available? Manipulation of the edits? Crossfades? Levels? I'm guessing, but the SONY engineers, even if it were possible, (and yes, EVERYTHING is possible!) would not know exactly WHERE to draw the line. Now, if you want veg manipulation at the level you seek, then physically insert each and every track from that "other" Veg into the MAIN veg. In this particular instance, if you want more control, then don't NEST.

OK, how about this as a solution: Have 2 instances of Vegas open at once and do the by-pass and update the MAIN? Would that work?

But no, I disagree with you as to it being limiting. On the contrary, I find Nesting, and the way it DOES restrict me kinda neat. But I COULD be persuaded though <wink> !

Regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #11
Major Player

Grazie,

I think you mis-interpreted my post. I didn't mean nesting was limiting, I meant the fact that you can't bypass the FX of the nested project was limiting. Say you have your project logically divided into 7 Veg projects with a Master Project where you make the final assembly (this is how I work in Premiere but with nested sequences). All grading has been done, effects, titles, etc. Now you need to watch the final assembly in all of it's glory but don't want to or can't wait for a render, but your machine can't preview it in real time bc of the heavy fx's, see my point? I find this limiting in this scenario. Imagine the hit your creativity takes when trying to assemble the imported projects and your playback comes to a crawl? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to simply shut of imported project's FX's and work in real time? I don't think this would be that hard for Sony to implement. That's all, nothing personal.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...