Deleting "un-used" parts of AVI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Deleting "un-used" parts of AVI

Hello People... Havn't been here in a while... After making an Indie and a SitCom Pilot had to work on a 'different' field to generate some cash flow... Anyways... I remember years ago with my DC1000 board and Premiere I could "Export" only pieces of the video the timeline was using (+ a few seconds on the front and end) and really cut down on what was on my hard drive. Premeire would also now use these files and references automatically... sure was nice... now I was trying to find that in Vegas but couldn't... Does it have this feature? some of my timeline only uses 10 sec. of a whole hour of tape... need to get the extra 9+ gigs off my drive.
Carl Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Carl. Depends on the codec used to create the AVI file. If it is in DV format then you can export the part of the clip you want to keep using "Render As" DV AVI. After you trim the clip on the timeline, double-click on it to define the loop region, and make sure "Render loop region only" is checked in the Render As dialogue box. This will export your trimmed clip without re-rendering.

Other AVI formats such as DIVX can be exported too, but will need to go through a render step.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

File | Save As | Copy and trim media with project

Then, in the next dialog, select Create trimmed copies of source media with project, and enter a number of extra seconds of head and tail you want.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

And thar she is...

Thanks for your reply Richard but... that is a hard way... Seth has got it right, thanks Seth! I searched all over in the help files but couldn't find it... hmmm...
Carl Downs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...