DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Music Video Created in Vegas 8 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/118138-music-video-created-vegas-8-a.html)

James Binder March 30th, 2008 01:43 PM

Music Video Created in Vegas 8

Here's a video...

http://www.vimeo.com/835920

...created for my wife for an internet singing competition. If you like Rascal Flatts, you'll love this! It was a great project that was created entirely within Veagas Pro 8. Make sure you have the 'HD' button activated -- looks WAY better than the standard def version.

If you like her perfomance, go give her a vote as well! :-)

http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/Video...02825&pdi=2366

BTW -- the compression quality is horrible on the competition site, that's why I put it up on Vimeo for others to see (who have a more critical eye :-). Check out the vimeo link first!

Jimmy

Jerry Jesion March 30th, 2008 05:30 PM

Your voting link is dead!

James Binder March 30th, 2008 05:57 PM

Thanks for the info -- I updated the link above. Not sure what happened...

Jeff Harper March 30th, 2008 11:40 PM

Nice work James...

Dale Guthormsen March 31st, 2008 09:38 AM

James,

Pretty darn nice. I liked the farely smooth movement with her as she walked. Use a steady cam or a track? Nice song by the way!! she does a fine job.

James Binder March 31st, 2008 02:13 PM

Jeff – Thanks!

Dale --

Yes, Glidecam Smooth Shooter with the Pro 4000. I used it extensively throughout in some VERY uneven, rocky, crappy conditions. I was pleased that the shots ended up pretty smooth for the most part considering the conditions. On the railroad tracks, I was walking backward (obviously) as I navigated 100 year-old railroad ties jutting out at every angle! There was also a very steep crumbling brick staircase I ran up and down to get some of the high angle/jib-like shots…

(BTW - the playback tempo during shooting was sped up to allow for slow-mo in post -- adding to the challenge)

I'm still not sure how I didn't come away without a twisted ankle or broken rig from that shoot!

Thanks for the feedback –

Brian Engleheart March 31st, 2008 03:08 PM

Very nice. the brick building is in South Mountain Reservation right? makes NJ look very country - good job.

Matthew Amirkhani March 31st, 2008 06:51 PM

Hi James,

Very nice video, really nejoyed it nice colors and very smooth. By the way I film with XHA1 as well did you use any of the presets? love to know more.

Thanks
Matthew

James Binder March 31st, 2008 11:57 PM

Brian –

Bingo! I guess you know the location. Yes, it does have a very southern quality when shot right and used for the right project – for this one, it was perfect. Thanks for the feedback –

Matthew –

Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, I used Steven Dempsey ‘Vivid RGB.’ However, in retrospect, I would have liked to have tried a bit more neutral settings due to the Magic Bullet looks applied in post.

Shoot:

Canon XH-A1
HDV 1080i
60i fps
1/120 shutter

Glidecam Smooth Shooter with the Pro 4000

Edit:

Vegas 8
Some Digital Juice ‘swipes’ used in post
All footage shot with audio playback 125%
All footage slowed to 75% in post
Each shot manually synced in post to pre recorded audio track

Thanks guys – your comments are much appreciated

Terry Esslinger April 1st, 2008 01:12 PM

James,
I don't know what the voting in this contest is based on but it sure isn't production value and apparently is only based loosely on the vocal.
I actually took the time to watch at least part of all 40+ that are ahead of your wifes video (and I voted by the way) and I cannot figure it out. Yours has the best production value -by far. And the vocal at least belongs in the top 10. What are people voting on ? What a joke.
Hope you get somne support from this forum and your video can move upward. It deserves to.

James Binder April 1st, 2008 10:18 PM

Terry --

Yes, clearly what we did was overkill compared to what other have done -- and I presume overkill insomuch as what the site hosts expected. I guess it's just a silly little competition, but when you are as crazy as my wife is about Rascal Flatts (country group) -- it's a big deal! (first place gets to sing on stage with them)

Unfortunately, she got into the competition a bit late -- not knowing that the time lost would be as big of a hindrance as it is. Those who were in early now have the largest lead -- talent or not. And as you observed -- in most cases...NOT!!

Again, I knew that most probably would not go to the extent that we did -- and I think that is why in part she is moving up quickly even though she entered late.

Thanks for the comments/compliment and most of all -- support!! I'll pass the word along to my wife...

Simon Denny April 3rd, 2008 01:55 PM

Hi James,
Video looks great and her vocals and the song is good.
I was wondering if you would share your compression details for this clip?

Regards
Simon

Christian de Godzinsky April 4th, 2008 05:59 AM

Hi James,

Just for curiosity, how much time did you spend on post in Vegas? Would be nice to know how much editing work (timewise) this kind of video involves. Must be a lot much more than 60:1 as in "normal" editing? I'm fully aware that there is also much work in preproduction and shooting that adds up to the total....but the editing time interests me most. Nice work anyhow, both shooting and editing!!!

Christian

James Binder April 4th, 2008 12:57 PM

Simon --

I'm not at my work station now but I believe I pretty much followed Vimeo's recommendations:

Project was shot HDV -

Main Concept mp4
1280x720
5 mbits (data rate) (they recommend 3-5mbits -- or as they put it -- 3000-5000 kbits)
23.976 (my project frame rate -- they recommend 30, or your project frame rate)

Christian --

I spent about 5 days editing -- not full days, maybe around 3-5 hrs a day. Actually, I never really keep track of exact hours editing a project. When I have a hard deadline, I just use as much of that time as possible. I can easy spend upwards of 12 hours a day on some projects -- short term.

I certainly blew past the 60 seconds/one hour benchmark -- mine might have been more like 5 hrs for each final minute of video. Ugh...that's why I never like to think about it! :-)

There was extra time involved with pre production insomuch as I had to do a vocal recording session as well. We did that in one day with mixing and mastering the next day.

Thank you both for the feedback and nice comments.

John Cline April 4th, 2008 04:06 PM

Nice job James. I really liked the song and your wife's performance. Top notch stuff.