Whites crushed on render - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila View Post
This is what Im seeing when I look at the MXF files in Vegas and the original mp4 wrapped file in the Clip browser.

Clip browser: Image OK
Vegas explorer (no matter if project is 8 or 32bit): Image looks washed out
Vegas timeline 8bit: Image looks washed out
Vegas 8bit with Studio to Computer RGB: Image OK
Vegas timeline 32bit: Image OK
Exactly. And this is not a setting problem. Other than EX1 files, all other camera's files that I have tested play correctly from Vegas explorer and Vegas timeline 8 bit with no adjustment.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #47
Major Player

Glenn, if you wish I can provide you with EX1 MXF and MP4 original files to test.

Thanks again for all your help. Im getting very nice images as a result. Finally gonna be able to render out some good stuff :)
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Strome View Post
Hi Sami,

My guess is that the confusion is being caused by the way Vegas opens your clips in 8 bit by default. That is what confused me, as this is not the way the clip actually "is". You may notice that Clip browser displays your clip much diffferently than Vegas 8 bit (exactly like your Mainconcept render of 8 bit). So does Sony Clip Viewer on a larger scale. To make Vegas match clip viewer or clip browser (or Edius by default) you have to either convert from studio RGB to Computer RGB or open in 32 bit. Working with the default does not give an accurate represntaion of the original file.
Just to recap I think this quote from Randy is the vital peace of information for all EX1 users.
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #49
Inner Circle

If you want to work in 8-bit, some other options are:
A- Preview via firewire. (This won't work in 32-bit though.)
B- Use the Windows secondary display. In the settings for that, check color management and the studio RGB checkbox. (May not work for 32-bit, but depends on codecs and what levels you want to work in.)
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #50
Major Player

Thanks Glenn, Im using only one display for everything, Im lookind for a good HD second display though, lets see how that changes my workflow. But for now I think its the following:

Start with doing an unwrap in Clip browser to MXF. Edit in 8bit (for faster preview) and when I start color correction I change the project to a 32bit project. Then I do a render. This way all the formats I need to render to (Mainconcept MP4, Quictime uncompressed and WMV) give desired results. Im happy with how this works now.
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...