Vegas 7.0d - Brightness and overlay at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 4th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Vegas 7.0d - Brightness and overlay

I have a problem.
I edit with Vegas 7.0d my jvc 720 24p footage.
After editing and rendering I notice a brighter and more contrasted image on windows media player than on vegas.
Looking deeper I found out that if I switch off overlay on media player options the video will look exactly as it was on Vegas.
How can I solve it?
Wich is the "real" look?

Thanks, Roberto
Roberto Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #2
Major Player

the real look is what you see in Vegas. Try downloading a VLC media player (its free).

if you look at your file with Windows media player, Quicktime player etc you will see that each of them might look different. Im using VLC media player to review my footage as it seems to give the most "real" look.

What format are you rendering to?
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #3
New Boot

I know VLC, the point is it cannot play cineform or canopus intermediate formats (the ones I use).
By the way you tell me that what I see on Vegas is the real picture but.. what I see in mediaplayer is what people will see..
Roberto Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #4
Major Player

What changes is propably color space and that is a bit tricky, Ive been fighting with the same issue myself. Try rendering out to WMV and see if that looks good in Windows media player, just as a test. If thats the case someone more technical then me will have to help you. I dont use cineform or canopus so I dont know them.
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Welcome to the Vegas colorspace & level wrangling world...

The Vegas preview window is displaying studio RGB. This is the correct levels when viewing with an external NTSC monitor.

Based on how you set up your graphic card, windows media overlay will be able to match your studio RGB levels. When you disable the overlay, your using computer RGB. This is the difference you are seeing.

Studio RGB (NTSC RGB): Black is 16 and whites are 235.
Computer RGB: Black is 0 and whites are 255.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...