Vegas "Pre-renders" vs "Final Renders"? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 16th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #16
Wrangler

Is this the same Dennis from the SoFo forums- "SonicDennis"?!

Ok, let me see if I have this all straight:

1. First off- if I want a progressive scan DVD I first make sure I shoot my footage in 24pA to get the 2-3-3-2 pull-down which is much more efficient because it eliminates the stutter (or half-frame) cause from shooting in normal 24p mode with 2-3 pull-down.

2. When I begin a project I should set a template that will support this 2-3-3-2 pulldown while capturing, etc.

3. All pre-renders should be in 2-3-3-2 pulldown (where/how do I set this) but the final output should be set to 2-3 pull-down (set in the mainconcept encoder?)

4. Once output, authored, and burned through DVD Architect, flags will be added to the footage so that a progressive scan DVD player can retrieve the original progressive frames. A. At what point are these flags added?...in the encoding phase, or in DvdA during authoring?
B. Once this is done correctly and I'm using a progressive scan dvd player, what is the actual frame rate of the progressive footage?...24p or 60p?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 12:04 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Glen:

Yes, it's SonicDennis (aka Dithermaster), just helping out here and there when I can.

Have you read the Vegas 24p whitepaper? All of these questions are answered there.

1. Right

2. Capture knows nothing about 24p and doesn't need to, just capture. In fact, VidCap will show 29.97 or something, just ignore it. The 24p extraction is done when the file is read by Vegas, not during capture.

3. Correct. The 2-3-3-2 template will be available when you do the prerender.

4. A. The MPEG-2 pulldown flags are added during the render when you choose the 24p template. The method used to encode 24p for DVD is identical to the DVDs that come out of Hollywood.

4. B. It's up to your player and the video interface to your television (component analog or DVI or ?). I'm not entirely sure what the gamut of choices are, but I think they are 60p instead of 24p (unless DVI has a 24p option for non-raster-scanned devices like DLP/LCD/Plasma). However, because the player is able to access true progressive frames, the 60p will better than 60i that's been deinterlaced. Note that many players ignore the flags and do inverse telecine based on detection of the judder frames. This will still work with this encoding method as well. Finally, these discs will play on "standard" 60i TVs with no problems.

///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #18
Wrangler

Thanks for your help Dennis- great job guys with such an incredible program as Vegas. I just wish I had awoken from my Premiere slumber earlier- I felt like Neo comming out of the Matrix for the first time when I started using Vegas. It truly opened my eyes.

My only concern is this whole Sony thing- I don't trust what they are going to do with this program! To Sony: if it ain't broken, don't fix it! ....OH, and keep all the original programers and engineers!
Old July 17th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #19
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : To Sony: if it ain't broken, don't fix it! ....OH, and keep all the original programers and engineers! -->>>

So far, that's the plan :) We're got some exciting things in the works for Vegas 5.

///d@
Old July 18th, 2003, 01:13 AM   #20
Major Player

WOW!
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 04:37 AM   #21
Wrangler

Hmm would you care to divulge any hints? *Pretty Please*
Old July 18th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I wish I could, but policy dictates that we don't talk about details of future releases. What if a feature got pulled before release -- you'd have my hide! In fact, they removed one of my fingernails just for mentioning the digit 5 after the name "Vegas". Forget I said that, OK? :-)
///d@
Old July 19th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #23
Wrangler

Well I'm at least glad to know it's pressing forward. I have to admit to being a little worried about it's future after the whole Sony thing- speaking of which did that whole thing take place already? Is it official?
Old July 19th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #24
Regular Crew

It's awaiting approval at the annual shareholder's meeting which is in about a week.
///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...