DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Should I upgrade to V8? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/118740-should-i-upgrade-v8.html)

Larry Secrest April 6th, 2008 08:27 PM

Should I upgrade to V8?

I've been using 7 with no problems. I'm done with all my projects and I won't need to go back from 8 to 7. I mainly edit shorts, narratives and short docs with no special effect. I use a very film way of editing.
Now that I'm going to start new project that won't need to be taken back to 7 should I upgrade to 8?
Thanks
L.

Renton Maclachlan April 6th, 2008 08:53 PM

The best thing I find about v8 is the multicam feature...

Edward Troxel April 6th, 2008 08:53 PM

Do you need the new features in Vegas 8? If yes, upgrade! Do you already own Vegas 8? If yes, upgrade.

There are several advantages to Vegas 8 but only you can determine whether or not you want to upgrade. To me, I like the extra features.

Andy Wilkinson April 7th, 2008 03:04 AM

Larry,

I'm on 7e and love the rock steady stability. It has all the features I (currently) need whereas at least some people seem to be having issues with 8, others lover it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it so I'd say stay put for a while!.... but as Ed writes, only you can decide.

Larry Secrest April 7th, 2008 06:31 AM

I don't need multicam feature and Vegas 7 has been amazing to me. OK, I'll wait until Vegas 9.

Matthew Harris April 7th, 2008 11:17 AM

the new titler is pretty slick but a bit of a learning curve...was the color coded snapping across timeline/tracks available in vegas 7 ? i went from vegas 6 to 8 and i really like that feature...

Jeff Harper April 7th, 2008 04:02 PM

I personally do not yet use the V8 ProTitler or Multicam (I use Ultimate S and love it's multicam feature).

I miss the stability of 7. In hindsight, I would have waited for the 64 bit version of 8 comes out, rumoured to be this summer.

Andy Wilkinson April 7th, 2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Harris (Post 855794)
was the color coded snapping across timeline/tracks available in vegas 7 ? i went from vegas 6 to 8 and i really like that feature...

yep, it's there in 7 and superbly useful!

Kevin Borein April 10th, 2008 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 855975)
I personally do not yet use the V8 ProTitler or Multicam (I use Ultimate S and love it's multicam feature).

I miss the stability of 7. In hindsight, I would have waited for the 64 bit version of 8 comes out, rumoured to be this summer.

Does anyone else have the problem with 8 randomly shutting off? I have 7 and 8 installed and find myself using 7 more because I don't use the multi cam yet. Everytime I try to use 8 I end up with random crashes, get mad, and start over in 7.

Jeff Harper April 10th, 2008 09:13 AM

Kevin, I haven't had your specific problem, but Titler has cause me similar issues. There is no fix I have heard about for these issues. I do suspect you might not have this issue if you tried installing in Vista, but I don't know.

When 8 had first come out this forum was full of compaints of various strange issues such as yours, many for which there was no fix or answer.

What was particularly frustrating was that 8 worked fine for MOST people, but the ones that had trouble with it had BIG problems with it, like crashing, etc.

Good luck

Terry Esslinger April 10th, 2008 10:48 AM

For those very reasons I still have 8 sitting on the shelf and have never installed it. I don't have time for the reported learning curve for the new titler and 7 is running rock solid for me. Why did I buy it? Good question!