DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 8.0b and Kaspersky? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/119664-vegas-8-0b-kaspersky.html)

Ian Stark April 18th, 2008 03:08 AM

Vegas 8.0b and Kaspersky?

In advance of opening a trouble ticket with Sony, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Every time I open Vegas 8.0b I get a 'serious error - terminating' message (well, words to that effect). If I try to load Vegas again it fires up just fine.

Clicking on the 'details' button gives me this load of unintelligible info:

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SetFocus(HandleRef hWnd)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadWindows.Enable(Boolean state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.EnableWindowsForModalLoop(Boolean onlyWinForms, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.EndModalMessageLoop(ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.DataAccess.SqlServerUtil.AttachSqlServerDatabaseUsingWorker(MediaLibrary lib)
at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.SqlMediaLibraryMgr.Open(MediaLibrary lib)
at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.SqlMediaLibraryMgr.OpenLastActiveLibrary()
at Sony.MediaSoftware.MediaMgr.MediaMgrController.MediaLibraryMgrFactoryWorker_Complete(Object sender, WorkerCompleteEventArgs e)

-----------------

This has only happened in the last few weeks and the only change that I can think of is that I recently installed Kaspersky Internet Security 7 (which I have set to stop as soon as Vegas boots and restart when Vegas ends).

I'm fairly sure that this is where the problem likes but I was wondering if any other Vegas users have already been down this road and found a solution.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Ian . . .

John Estcourt April 18th, 2008 05:38 AM

hi, Ian I am running 8b with Kaspersky no probs and same as you I disable it when using vegas. Have you tried a clean install of vegas..might help

Ian Stark April 18th, 2008 06:00 AM

Thanks John - clean install is indeed my next port of call.

I'm still fairly sure that it's a Kapersky related issue. I'll report back.

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Ian Stark April 18th, 2008 10:03 AM

Uninstalled and reinstalled Vegas. Problem appears to be resolved.

Shame that there isn't any way of saving a preferences file before uninstalling. Very annoying having to try and remember all the little settings that make it my personal Vegas.

(And if there IS a way but I am too dumb to have found it please do NOT tell me now!).

Thanks again for the suggestion, John.

Mike Kujbida April 19th, 2008 09:27 AM

Ian, do you mean saving your custom render templates?
If so , do this. Please note that I waited a day to tell you :-)

All of the custom rendering templates are in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\File Templates

Where <username> is your windows account name. Just copy them over to your new PC and they should be recognized.

Ian Stark April 19th, 2008 09:43 AM

Mike, you're a good, decent man!

Actually, I was thinking more of preferences, for example the secondary display settings, timeline position etc. That all seems to be lost on a re-install.

Again, if anyone knows different, a delay of 24 hours before telling me would be appreciated ;-)