Vegas 8 - an unmitigated disaster !! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:09 AM   #31
Inner Circle

You might try taking out 2 gigs of memory and running it, then try the other two gigs, or even try running just 1 at a time if you don't need to run it in pairs (don't remember what kind of memory your running or if you even mentioned that). That would be a quick and dirty way of tracking down bad sticks.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Sorry I missed your response...

memtest86+ is an ISO image that you burn to CDROM and boot the machine off of. You don't run it out of windows... be sure to read the instructions :)

If you can't get memtest working, I'd try removing a pair of memory modules to see if that helps (or at least changes the situation). Juggle them around until you find an arrangement that works.

Definitely have some hardware demons causing your headache's!
Andy Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #33
Regular Crew

last year I had a really bad time with my home build computer locking up and it kept on looking like memory issues. I finally painfully traced it down to the BIOS reading the wrong latency settings off of the RAM; I checked the proper settings online, reset the latency to what the ram should have been running at and haven't had a crash since. Very cheap fix.

Last edited by Ken Steadman; May 4th, 2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
As this latest saga has happened with out any programs running it is becoming more obvious that the issues are PC related.

Ron.
It's too bad that you can't change the title of this thread, since it appears that Vegas 8 is NOT an "unmitigated disaster."
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I agree John. However anyone reading the thread in it's entirety will see how the process goes so often when tracking down problems.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #36
Major Player

Just skimmed the thread and thought I would chime in:

I had endless crashes with Vegas 7e, 8a and 8b that I tracked down to two separate problems. Now after fixing these, everything is quite stable. Just in case your problems are similar to what mine where here are the two issues I corrected:

1/ Cineform Neo HDV installs a driver called "AJACaptureFilter.ax" which apparently is prone to crashing Vegas if you don't have the AJA card installed. Just do a search for "AJACaptureFilter.ax" and delete it. Unless you have this card you don't need it. This fixed the constant crashing I was getting when I used Cineform NeoHDV clips.

2/ I started to turn off my Virus protection program every time I capture HDV video. It seems that my constant crashing with native m2t clips was due to errors that were introduced (but not reported) when I captured with either HDVSplit or Vegas's capture utility. Since no dropped frames were reported I thought that the captures had been fine. They weren't. There were some kind of formatting errors that were embedded in my m2t clips that would make them crash Vegas. Since I started disabling my virus protection during capture, I have done maybe seven or eight tapes that have given me no problems whatsoever.

Vegas has been working perfectly lately for me, but I can really feel for you. Until I worked through these two issues, the phrase "unmitigated disaster" sounds like a pretty accurate description of my experience.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #37
New Boot

Vegas8 and EX1 files

I upgraded to Vegas 8 mainly so I would have a second machine to edit
EX1 files. but I still have not been able to get the XDCAM utility in the editor to work. I read something about converting the files to some other file format MXF?
SO if anyone has any wisdom I would love to have it.

Other wise I am stuck with FCP.

Ed
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Ed Mellnick, what a blast from the past. We worked on a project in... 1985? (I was at Creative Media, you were downstairs on NW Kearney(?)

Do a little search of the forum, lots of good info on EX1 and Vegas Pro8. This has worked for others, it should work for you. Sorry I can't help directly, I've not shot with the EX1 yet.

You'll want to look at this:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=108339

And this:
http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...ony_Vegas8.htm
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...