Rendering stills at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 19th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Rendering stills

I have a bride that called to tell me that the pictures she received from her photographer were horrible. She asked if there was any way to grab frames from the video. Obviously that isn't hard to do, but she has sent me quite a long list of stills to grab. I know that Quicktime can convert a video file to stills, but I'm having a hard time getting the video out of Vegas in a format that Quicktime player will like. I also told her to not expect anything high-res, but she said it will be better than nothing. Whew. With that said, does anyone have any suggestions at all? It was all shot in HD also.

Thanks,

Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd avoid the quicktime intermediate process - don't think you need it.

You can do grabs from the timeline by first previewing at best-full, then clicking the little disk icon above the preview window.

An alternative would be to render-as "image sequence".

So there are two methods from within vegas.

"Stills were horrible" may be code for "prints from the photog are way too expensive."
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

You could put markers on the frames you wish to extract and use a script to extract only those frames. It really doesn't sound like you need EVERY frame - just a bunch of scattered frames. That would make the most sense to me.

Also if you go to Tools - Scripting, there is an image sequence output script available there.

Plus you might look at Satish's frame servers plugin which now also includes an option for outputting image sequences.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Major Player

You guys rock! I am so busy editing weddings that I never have the time to actually play around inside Vegas and learn new stuff.
As for the bride not wanting to pay for stills, they actually did suck. Never, ever let a friend of your mothers, that use to be a photographer, volunteer to shoot your wedding! At one point I actually saw her reading a manual :(
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

OUCH...

Well, the good news is that you should be able to supply her with very good to excellent stills for anything of smaller size (4x6, 5x7). In a pinch, even 8x10 can be pulled off if you're a photo editing wiz.

As already noted, set preview to the highest res, and capture the stills direct from the best frames - you can even give her some choices - I usually scroll frame by frame, pick the best one and "click".

I've used this numerous times to "fill" shots that my wife missed for whatever reason when shooting stills (and I use her stuff for fill too, it goes both ways). Once you've saved the stills, you can either get them to her as is, or have someone show knows Photoshop or Paint Shop or whatever spruce them up a bit. Most programs have deinterlace capability, and with a little light post work, you will end up with excellent results, albeit not at the greatest resolution - cropping verticals from a widescreen original isn't the best, but it can be a great "save" for an otherwise lost moment.

I had one wedding where the groom decided to "dip" the bride for the first kiss, catching EVERYONE off guard, so no "first kiss" shots of any useable sort... I caught it from 2 angles fairly well (and this was SD cameras), composited the two together, retouched agressively for an "old time" picture look, not bad for a "salvage job", though I wasn't thrilled with it. It ended up being one of their favorite shots! I guess the "artistic" result overrode the technical flaws...

You'll be the hero and save the day here, once more "Super Video Guy" to the rescue!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...