DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Photoshop Images (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/119863-photoshop-images.html)

John Griffin April 20th, 2008 10:10 PM

Photoshop Images

A while back there was a post here that i can't seem to find on size and resolution to create projects for video use. What I'm doing is making a image that looks like a book that is open with both sides showing. On each page will be videos laid out to resemble a scrap book. This will be in 4:3 if that matters. In my image creator i have the usual settings H & W , but also resolution. Resolution was default to 72 x 72 dpi, but what does it need to be for video? Thanks for any help with this.

John

Charlie Gillespie April 20th, 2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Griffin (Post 864302)
A while back there was a post here that i can't seem to find on size and resolution to create projects for video use. What I'm doing is making a image that looks like a book that is open with both sides showing. On each page will be videos laid out to resemble a scrap book. This will be in 4:3 if that matters. In my image creator i have the usual settings H & W , but also resolution. Resolution was default to 72 x 72 dpi, but what does it need to be for video? Thanks for any help with this.

John

My personal pref is 300 dpi

John Griffin April 23rd, 2008 05:59 PM

Thanks

Thanks that helps.

John

Rick Diaz April 23rd, 2008 08:40 PM

For display on a TV or computer monitor the image only needs 96 dpi max. 300 dpi is for printing.

Bill Busby May 18th, 2008 01:02 PM

I know this is a somewhat old post... but I had to just chime in here & say: dpi has nothing whatsoever to do with video. It's the pixel dimensions that matter. For example, if a scanner defaults to 300dpi, & you scan something, there's going to be a corresponding pixel dimension associated with that dpi value. You could change the dpi to something else... say 150 or 72, etc., but change the pixel dimensions to what it previously was & then re-scan & the quality is going to be the same videowise regardless of the dpi setting.

Rick Diaz May 18th, 2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 879539)
I know this is a somewhat old post... but I had to just chime in here & say: dpi has nothing whatsoever to do with video. It's the pixel dimensions that matter. For example, if a scanner defaults to 300dpi, & you scan something, there's going to be a corresponding pixel dimension associated with that dpi value. You could change the dpi to something else... say 150 or 72, etc., but change the pixel dimensions to what it previously was & then re-scan & the quality is going to be the same videowise regardless of the dpi setting.

You're right in that dpi has no relation to video, it is a measure for printing. But it does affect the file size. A high dpi setting will result in a file that can be too large for import into a video project. If you have no need to crop or zoom a photo you intend to use in your video then stick with a dpi setting of 72-96 to limit the file size. Large file sizes can have a negative impact when imported into the timeline, and all that picture info isn't need for video anyway.

Mike Kujbida May 18th, 2008 09:11 PM

My rule of thumb is that 1" of image size at 100 dpi = 100 pixels.
I generally scan at 150 dpi.
Therefore, a standard sized photo (6" x 4") comes out to 900 x 600 pixels.
This is slightly larger than needed for NTSC (720 x 480) so I can do some mild zooming if desired.
BTW, scantips.com is an excellent site that gets into all of this and much more.

Jeff Harper May 19th, 2008 08:29 AM

I, like Mike, scan most photos at 150, since the photographs usually come out at the perfect not-too-big or not-too-small size. When I need to zoom in more on a particular photo I will use a higher dpi. And while jpg works fine, I tend to convert images to png, as they seem to be more Vegas friendly, which I learned on this board. However I have had trouble using png files for DVD architect menus, don't know why, I know png is supported, but jpg never give me any problem for that purpose.

Norris Combs May 19th, 2008 03:17 PM

I apologize for this off-topic question, but what scanner do you guys use? I'm looking for one to scan a bunch of photos for archiving.

Thanks,

Jeff Harper May 19th, 2008 03:24 PM

I purchased a used Epson Perfection 3200 a couple of years ago, and it is very high quality. It is supposedly a professional quality, and it shows. There is one on ebay currently for $200.

For something more current and less expensive, the Canon CanoScan 8800F is available at Newegg.com and is very popular.

Andrew Hoag May 19th, 2008 05:17 PM

Norris,
I use an Epson Expression 10000XL. It's a monster, but well worth the money. You get really high quality scans and if your doing serious archiving and want to do some really nice touch ups in photoshop, the 10000XL is the way to go.

Ian Stark May 20th, 2008 01:36 AM

Also a little off topic, but may be of interest to people who have stumbled across this thread:

Every now and then I come across a great image that I want to pan & scan across in a Vegas project, or perhaps slowly zoom in/out but the image is just too small for that to work effectively. Often it's because I have cropped a larger photo I've taken, to just show the area of interest, or it's a teeny little image that I have found on the web (copyright free, of course!).

Now I have no doubt there are several of these tools on the market, but in the last few days I have had very good results with a standalone product called PhotoZoom Pro 2 from BenVista http://www.benvista.com/main/content....php?page=home

Its 149 euros and there is a trial. I'm using the trial at a client's site at the moment, just to put it through its paces, but I will definitely be buying this for my own use. Anyone got any experience of other similar tools?

Bill Busby May 20th, 2008 02:32 AM

PhotoZoom Pro is no doubt a great program, but I could never justify the cost since I would never really find the need to use it much.

Ian Stark May 20th, 2008 02:42 AM

I quite agree Bill. This is one of those 'nice to haves'. I'm in a lucky position in that when I want/need a new plugin or other toy, I work out a way that it simply MUST be used on a forthcoming client project - then get the client to pay for it!! Doesn't always work but when I was going through a very lean period a year or so ago I learned all the tricks!

p.s. if any of my clients are reading this, I didn't do that to you, of course.

Bill Busby May 20th, 2008 02:54 AM

I know what you mean Ian. If & when we get a client who desperately needs some itty bitty photo used in a production and wants it rez'd up to the highest quality possible... then we'll tell him what that will cost them & see if they wanna pony up the dough :)