Call me crazy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 21st, 2008, 04:49 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Call me crazy

I know that rendering shouldn't be faster in Vista 64 bit than in XP. I know that Vegas can't utilize more than 2GB memory, etc, etc., and I never expected it to be. In fact, I actually expected slower rendering times.

But I swear it is faster, or seems to be. I rendered a 51 minute project with some grandient effects in 16 minutes, which is a record for my workstation. Without the effects the render time would likely been 14 minutes.

Has any else had this experience?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:46 AM   #2
Major Player

I can't really comment on Vegas' memory management, but all 32-bit applications can address 4GB of memory, it's just that XP can't give 'm that much (being 32bit itself). In Vista "WoW" can give applications access to the full 4GB, and as long as there is enough physical RAM, you should see an improvement in applications that heavily use memory.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks George. I am wondering now if when I have read that Vegas only uses up to 2GB memory if they were referring to the OS limitation, not a Vegas one. If what you say is correct, than my 32 bit apps "might" benefit from increased memory usage, since I am running 8GB RAM in a 64 bit environment.

Other than rendering everything else seems about the same.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
If what you say is correct, than my 32 bit apps "might" benefit from increased memory usage, since I am running 8GB RAM in a 64 bit environment.
Just check out task manager or resource monitor, they will show you how much memory an app is using (ctrl-alt-del).

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Of course. thanks George.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...