DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   2GB ram isnt enought for SD MPG files project? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/120071-2gb-ram-isnt-enought-sd-mpg-files-project.html)

Prech Marton April 23rd, 2008 12:14 AM

2GB ram isnt enought for SD MPG files project?

Hi.

My friend asked me to make a dvd from a sony hdd sd camcorder.
i connect the cam with usb cable, and copy the mpg files to my HDD.
100 piece of simple pal 720x576 (16:9) mpg files.

Only importing to vegas 8 require about 2min!
maybe this would be not a problem.
after placing clips on the timeline, memory usage go higher and higher, up to 1,3GB! (nothing else program is running, when i exit vegas, mem usage is about 200MB)

this is normal? I dont think so, it seems that vegas handle mpg files very bad.
and when i cut the unwanted parts and go to render to a single file, memory usage go higher and higher again, and render fails. (because it reach the 2GB).

I thinked 2GB would be enough for HDV editing too!
And the reality, that with this system i cannot work not even a 100 mpg SD file project?

help

http://www.relaxvideo.hu/vegas-mem.jpg

Jeff Harper April 24th, 2008 11:53 AM

Prech, I've seen one of your videos, very nice. Sorry no one has an answer for you yet.

Your english is quite good, however it is a tiny bit unclear what is happening, though you explained it as best you could I know.

Have you found a solution yet?

Axel Scheffler April 24th, 2008 12:23 PM

One question: What means "Importing to Vegas"? Do you mean dropping them on the time line or what are you doing with them upfront?

Axel, San Jose

Prech Marton April 25th, 2008 12:40 AM

Jeff,

thank you! i just love nature :)

What's happening with vegas: my proble is memory usage is very high, a lot-lot higher than working with dv avi files. Some days ago i upgrade my pc to 2gb ram, and thinked this would be enough also for hdv editing. And the reality is, that i cannot work with 100 sd mpg files on the timeline and render.
solution was: place only 20 clips on the timeline, rendering to dv avi, then the next 20... etc. editing the dv avi, and rendering this to final single file. this works, but i know, quality degrades :(

Prech Marton April 25th, 2008 12:42 AM

Axel,

importing means click on the import media button and getting the files to the bin. What else?
i wrote that when i dropping to the timeline, mem usage go higher.
and when its time to rendering, vegas crash.

Jeff Harper April 25th, 2008 06:59 AM

Well, we are glad you found a solution.

You explained it correctly the first time, but wanted to make sure I understood.

Glad you found a solution!

Best wishes!

Paul Kellett April 25th, 2008 07:52 AM

Prech you still shouldn't be getting the problem that you're getting,i've dropped 115gb of EX1 footage on my vegas timeline,all at the same time,with no problems.
I also have a Sony hdd cam,DCR-SR90,i don't get any problems with this cam and vegas either.

Paul.

Prech Marton April 25th, 2008 08:01 AM

Hi, Paul.
this sounds interesting to me!

How much ram do you have? Can you grab me a task manager screenshot, that shows the memory usage during importing clips?

I dont know whats wrong with my system.

Ian Slessor April 25th, 2008 03:26 PM

Possibly d/t the files being mpeg2???

Hey all,

Are the HDD files from the cam in dv or mpeg2 (the same as dvd video?)

Just wondering as I've pulled footage off of dvds and damn if it isn't a sob to work with.

DV is gloriously smooth in multiple streams but one stream of mpeg2 just makes my Vegas s....l....o....w.... d....o....w....n.... and I'm using a dualcore laptop.

just sayin'

sincerely,

ian

Matthew Chaboud April 25th, 2008 04:15 PM

Some files require Vegas to fall back on a less-memory-efficient decoder, or cause the decoder being used to be less-memory-efficient.

The "File->Import->DVD Camcorder Disc" option is specifically for this need. It fixes up the files in question.

You could also change the files to an intermediate working format by batch conversion. Ideally, this would be transparent, but handling these files on the fly would be exceedingly difficult.

Prech Marton April 25th, 2008 11:43 PM

Hello Ian:
have you read the topic title?
have you read the second and the third line of my first post?
then you have the answer: it's mpeg files, mpeg2 exactly with ac3 audio.

Matthew:
i heard this less-memory-efficien decoder of vegas, but what this really meant? i have to install another mpeg codec? right now only coreavc is installed, and standard xp mpg2 codec. Are you say, vegas use those? Which one? And where can i adjust, what to use for decode?

thx,
Marton

Edward Troxel April 26th, 2008 06:43 AM

Prech, Matthew told you what to do - use the File - Import - DVD Camcorder Disc option to import those files. That's why that option was added to Vegas - to handle cameras that record to DVDs.

Prech Marton April 26th, 2008 06:46 AM

thx Edward, but this is not a dvd camcorder, it has a hdd.
i transfer the files via usb.

Ian Slessor April 26th, 2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prech Marton (Post 867790)
...it's mpeg files, mpeg2 exactly with ac3 audio.

Yup. Sounds like it recorded straight to the codec that DVDs are rendered in.

Ed, correct me if I'm wrong there.

sincerely,

ian

Chris Medico April 26th, 2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prech Marton (Post 867862)
thx Edward, but this is not a dvd camcorder, it has a hdd.
i transfer the files via usb.

Which model camera are you using?