Building a New Editing Box. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Building a New Editing Box.

Im building a new box and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on processor choices. Im currently using an Intel Q6600 (2.4Ghz) and I'm considering using the new Xeon X3350 (2.66Ghz) over the Core 2 Quad Q9300 (2.5Ghz). Does anyone have a rig with either of these chips? Will either of these two chips be noticeably faster than the other? I know the Xeon is a server oriented chip, but will it be any faster in Vegas. Other than the obvious speed difference, is one better than the other?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have read mixed reviews on the Xeon, mostly lukewarm.

I would not abandon the Q6600, which I currently run, for less than 2 quad core processors. Since running 8 cores is an option now, I don't see much purpose, IMO, in simply increasing processor speed.

Dell produces the Precision WorkStation T5400 for example, which can be configured with double quad core or Xeons, and integrated Raid which I couldn't live without.

I cannot imagine DIY any more with the low prices of workstations. I would suggest you go to Dell or HP and configure your ideal machine, get the final price, then price the same components for DIY.

I was a hard core Build My Own PC enthusiast, but it is almost impossible to build a quality PC for less than to order a fully tested warranted PC.

My last DIY box had configuration issues, mostly MOBO related, and I'll never build another. It ran great, but what a nightmare in the initial stages.

Dell Precision workstations get Buisness class support, which is amazing. I've twice called for a minor firewire issue and the first time next day they replaced the MOBO and the second time they replaced the firewire card, which fixed the problem. The technician was super quick, in and out in 30 minutes for the motherboard replacement.

With consumer class machines you get the run of the mill support, but when you call for workstation support you are moved immediately to buisness support and these guys know raid and everything...highly recommend.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You might also consider waiting for the Penryn chips.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Major Player

http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/...mance_Preview/

Would Vegas be able to make use of two Quad Cores?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Wow Alastair, the 8 cores really do smoke! Thanks for the link!

I don't know if Vegas will use them, but some feel it will. Check out this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=quad+core

Also for general info purposes WD has a new VelociRaptor coming out that is significantly faster than the old Raptors. It is about time. The old ones were really dated.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 23rd, 2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...