Stabilization for Vegas 8.0b? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stabilization for Vegas 8.0b?

I've read the following post about stabilizer plug-ins, or lack thereof, for Vegas:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...=stabilization

However, everything I've read about Deshaker deals with DV. Does anyone know if 8.0b contains any stabilizing filters, or know of a way to have it fixed using AVCHD files?
Stephen Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

No Stephen, Vegas has nothing like that. The best I that I know of is that you can use a third party program to stabilize then render and bring rendered footage into Vegas.

I don't use any of those programs so I can't recommend one. Used on in the past and it was just so-so.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #3
New Boot

Stephen,

ProDad Mercalli has just been released. I've purchased it and am very pleased with the results on my AVCHD footage.

http://www.prodad.de/gb/mercalli_std_details.html
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use Mercalli & it works great for me.
You can see an example of it's use by following the link. I didn't hide the boarders so you can see the results.
http://www.bhagavideo.com/CProjects.html
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i've seen the mercalli software, but for how little i need it, i can't justify the $50/100 on it. i may try the deshaker out with virtualdub. i was just hoping something could snap-in nicely with vegas. oh well :(
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Still nothing compares to Deshaker - it does excellent result, also for much shorter time than Mercalli and any others. With Deshaker you can stabilize perfectly without any using of the zoom option!!! During my long time expierence I tried less or more shaking videos, which become a really smoothly stabilized videos after my custom made parameters in Deshaker.
Also, believe me or not, after using Deshaker in VirtualDub (and then to Vegas for further editing) the footage becomes much more cinemantic as a motion!
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

do you have any guidelines/suggestions for AVCHD content using deshaker? I've converted the m2ts file to avi, but the default deshaker settings feel a bit "soft" for me. what settings do you normally use?
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

**********Deleted

Last edited by Dugi Barr; April 25th, 2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Deleted
Dugi Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plamen Petrov View Post
Still nothing compares to Deshaker - it does excellent result, also for much shorter time than Mercalli and any others. With Deshaker you can stabilize perfectly without any using of the zoom option!!! During my long time expierence I tried less or more shaking videos, which become a really smoothly stabilized videos after my custom made parameters in Deshaker.
Also, believe me or not, after using Deshaker in VirtualDub (and then to Vegas for further editing) the footage becomes much more cinemantic as a motion!
Deshaker doesn't use the zoom but you can see the borders it creates, they are well done though.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Brown View Post
I use Mercalli & it works great for me.
You can see an example of it's use by following the link. I didn't hide the boarders so you can see the results.
http://www.bhagavideo.com/CProjects.html
That footage must of been very shakey to have those big borders, have you tried a DV multirig?! ;)

I prefer to use "static borders" in Mercalli rather than "dynamic borders", it's less distracting and combined with a bit of scaling you can hardly notice the borders.
Old April 27th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Deshaker doesn't use the zoom but you can see the borders it creates, they are well done though.
Ok, you can watch two of my videos processed with Deshaker from the beginning to the end. If you see any borders, please reply:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD6qeExMh40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiIopaMrh2M

It is better for you to adjust the right parameters and the right values in Deshaker, instead of using it just as you got it.
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spring View Post
That footage must of been very shakey to have those big borders, have you tried a DV multirig?! ;)

I prefer to use "static borders" in Mercalli rather than "dynamic borders", it's less distracting and combined with a bit of scaling you can hardly notice the borders.
Tony,
Not that I don't agree with what you are saying but from my website where the video was at "Bhaga Video Productions did not shoot any of the videos on this page."

As I stated the borders are there so you can see what Mercalli can do. Eventually I will create a before and after and place the current film in between the two. I agree that dynamic boarders are distracting.

With all of that said the fact is that we get footage all of the time that is "not so good". I just have a smile on my face and say "I might be able to fix that".
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plamen Petrov View Post
Ok, you can watch two of my videos processed with Deshaker from the beginning to the end. If you see any borders, please reply:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD6qeExMh40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiIopaMrh2M

It is better for you to adjust the right parameters and the right values in Deshaker, instead of using it just as you got it.
What you can see is based on a lot of factors:
Original quality of video, what the subject is (soft lines vs hard lines), is the object moving or stationary, how bad the camera movement is, etc.
When I first used deshaker I did not notice the borders but one day I saw it. It was the bumper of a car that was slightly out of alignment. It was a full in your face walk around of a car that filled all of the frame. As I said it does a good job at creating a border. Perhaps someone could have done better and perhaps there are some situations that just cannot be perfect. Most people watching the video would have never seen it (and I didn't see it the first few times I watched it) but it was there.
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Follow the link and look at the front bumper on the right side of the screen. You will see the deshake border that was created. Once you see the border on the bumper you can see it going up the side of the frame. There again it is very good and when the video is running and the camera is moving you don't really notice it like you do when you see the still frame.

http://www.bhagavideo.com/pictures/C...;20Deshake.jpg
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Tony,
Not that I don't agree with what you are saying but from my website where the video was at "Bhaga Video Productions did not shoot any of the videos on this page."
Sorry Harold missed that bit!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...