Help: Vegas Multicam Driving Me Nuts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Trustee

Help: Vegas Multicam Driving Me Nuts

I've got a bunch of A & B Camera Scenes. I want to syncthe A&B, multicam edit a scene, then insert another pair and repeat.

However, once I create a multi track, how do save the edit and move on to the next scene without ending up with a million tracks.

Anyone have a workflow for this? Any tutorials anywhere?
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Trustee

Don't you just render your finished multi cam track into a new single .avi? Then it will be one complete unit and could be used as a track in a subsequent multicam edit - I assume. I've never done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
I've got a bunch of A & B Camera Scenes. I want to syncthe A&B, multicam edit a scene, then insert another pair and repeat.

However, once I create a multi track, how do save the edit and move on to the next scene without ending up with a million tracks.

I don't use the Vegas Multi-cam tool, I use Ultimate S, so I'm afraid I can't help you too much here, but you can probably just nest the project onto a T/L ( however I think there are performance hits when rendering if you do that ).
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:24 AM   #4
Trustee

This is what i did with a play,i synced the play in 2 big halves,i think you're trying to do something similar,although with 2 scenes instead of 2 big halves like me. I filmed the play on my own over 2 night's,not 2 cams on the same night but it still had to be synced.

So for you, 1st scene,create the multicam track,do the cuts to and from the cams,when satisfied with that scene,just save it as a vegas project.

2nd scene,open new project,ie blank canvas, create multicam track,do the cuts to and from cams,when satisfied,save it as another project.

Now you can leave that on the timeline if you want,then go to the explorer,find where you've save your vegas projects,open that folder,find the 1st multicam edit,just drag it onto the timeline,next to/before/under or whatever the 2nd multicam edit.

I hope this helps,i think it's what you mean.

Paul.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:26 AM   #5
Trustee

I just noticed,another Paul,in another Bristol. Small world !!!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Trustee

Cheers Paul.

Once I've made my cuts, I try to move everything and the tracks (takes) seperate. It seems to me that to use this feature, I would have to place all of my clips on the time line and sync them before I can use the Multicam feature.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post

Paul,

Could you not put all your A roll on, say, track 1, probably with gaps between, and your B roll and on track 2, syncing up each section/passage.

Then when each is sync'ed, create a multi-cam track out of tracks 1 & 2.

I had to effectively do this in a 4 camera concert shoot where act 2 of a dance concert ran straight into speeches, thank-you's, presentations; the result was that no-one had a long enough tape to cover it all. So we had to stagger tape changes: each camera had a break in the action at different points and for different lengths of time. But once all sync'ed together the multi-cam worked a treat.

I took the additional step of keeping a Master .veg file as a template. I then edited each item/segment by starting with that master project, saving it as item 1, item 2, ...., and then cutting out everything around the item I wanted to edit, so that I only had to worry about one item at a time. Finally I pulled all that individual items (item1.veg, item2.veg) into a master project and rendered that.

Worked very nicely for me. Hope it might assist you.

Ciao,

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

I would do the different scenes in different projects and then just merge them all together at the end.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:19 AM   #9
Trustee

Thanks eveyone. I may just do that, treating each scen as a new project.

I'm curious. Once you creat a mutli-track is there a way to seperate it again, and if possible while keeping the cuts in place?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Trustee

Paul (Cascio).
yes you need to synch them before you create a multicam track,easiest way is with the audio peaks,if you have them.

It's not possible to seperate the multicam track once it's created,but what you could/should do is after you've synced the tracks but before you create the multicam track,duplicate the tracks so that they go down below onto another track,keep these duplicated tracks as "spare tracks",don't select them to be used with the multicam track,this way you'll end up with the finished multicam track and a seperated version,which is what you want.

Paul.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio
I'm curious. Once you creat a mutli-track is there a way to seperate it again, and if possible while keeping the cuts in place?
This is one area where the 3rd party multi-cam tools (i.e. Excalibur and Ultimate S) have an advantage. They do not combine the original tracks into a single track. Excalibur can also give you a "Master" track containing takes of all angles just like the final result of the built-in multi-cam but retaining the original tracks as well.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:11 AM   #12
Trustee

I've heard good things about both of those programs. I think it's time to investigate.

Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:59 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Well,

I must say that I like the Ultimate S tool, and I've used the Excalibur tool in the past (trials), but I personally prefer the tool sets in Ultimate S Pro. I may be somewhat partial here because I do work with the guys at VASST on various things, but I highly suggest trying them both and seeing which one works better for you ( they are great tools to combine with Vegas and are worth every penny, even if you buy them both ).

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...