DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Sony Vegas, anybody using it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/121178-sony-vegas-anybody-using.html)

K.C. Kennedy May 8th, 2008 09:01 AM

Sony Vegas, anybody using it?

Hello all, was in Circuit City yesterday and noticed two versions of Vegas soft.
I remember seeing it in Videographer's magazine and that it got some awards. Do any of you use it? How is the interface etc? I was also confused with different versions, CC has yellow box for $99 and platinum edition for $149. I also saw like 10 different versions on Ebay. Please, give me your feedback.
Thank you in advance, KC.

Chris Hurd May 8th, 2008 09:14 AM

Moved to our Sony Vegas forum.

Edward Troxel May 8th, 2008 09:26 AM

You'll find LOTS of people using Vegas now that the message has been moved to the Vegas forum. The versions you're seeing at Circuit City are the "Movie Studio" versions. These are basically "lite" versions but still have tremendous power and functionality. They are great for starting out editing. Once you decide you need more power, you can always upgrade to the pro version.

You'll also find tons of help here and many resources for Vegas throughout the web.

Here's a comparison of the three versions of Vegas: Movie Studio, Movie Studio Platinmum, and Pro:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare

K.C. Kennedy May 8th, 2008 09:29 AM

Thank you, Ed.
What's the top of the line version named then? I'll look out for that one.

Bill Mecca May 8th, 2008 09:30 AM

Sony Vegas Pro 8 is the current top o line product.

K.C. Kennedy May 8th, 2008 09:48 AM

Holy Crack

$699 current price for it at CC site, does it really have $600 worth more bells and whistles than regular version?

Terry Esslinger May 8th, 2008 09:51 AM

Look around, you can get it much less expensively elsewhere.

K.C. Kennedy May 8th, 2008 10:01 AM

Ebay has it for under 300, so what's the big difference between basic and pro versions?

Seth Bloombaum May 8th, 2008 10:14 AM

See Ed's link for specifics, and lots of them.

Some of the basics that the Pro version opens up are unlimited tracks, built-in multicam, better monitoring, video scopes, and scripting.

The studio versions are a very inexpensive entry to a great editing environment. The pro version is well worth the price if you need its capabilities.

PS. beware pirated software on Ebay, and/or versions that don't include the excellent DVD-Architect. Good software is there too... Forum sponsors are good sources at good prices - I believe videoguys.com is currently running a Vegas special, but also check out B&H. Look for the link at the very upper right of any dvinfo.net page.

Matthew Harris May 8th, 2008 10:15 AM

...way too many differences to mention between the pro and the home "lite" versions... check the sony site for the compare chart...but just one example is you have unlimited tracks in pro version and you are limited to just a handful of tracks in home version...i could not work with a limited track number...

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare

Chris Barcellos May 8th, 2008 10:44 AM

Also, Check out sponser here. I think BH Photo is still one, and they have had indirect specials to get you to Pro 8. Essentially you buy lower version (6 or 7), and then order 8 as an upgrade.

Bill Ravens May 8th, 2008 10:49 AM

AFAIK, Vegas used to be a top of the line product. As of version 8, Sony seems to have forsaken all camera brands except Sony. My JVC HD110 has dropped frame on capture problems, and I've read similar problems for Canon HD cams. I've called customer support, only to be told after a protracted delay in answering, that it isn't their problem! Since so many people seem to have the same problem, it's a little bit of denial syndrome for Sony to ignore it.

Not sure what Sony is thinking, but, I'm pretty soured on vegas, right now.

John Rofrano May 8th, 2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.C. Kennedy (Post 873992)
$699 current price for it at CC site, does it really have $600 worth more bells and whistles than regular version?

It might... and it might not... it all depends on what you want to use it for. Without knowing your needs, no one can recommend which version is right for you. Here’s the way I see it:

Vegas Movie Studio: Home user/small business working in Standard Definition
Video: Standard Definition (SD)
Audio: Stereo 16-bit, WAV
Tracks: 8 tracks (4 video, 4 audio)
Transitions & FX: Lots
Differentiating Tools: Chroma Key

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum: Home user/small business working in High Definition
Video: High Definition (HD, HDV)
Audio: 5.1 Surround Sound 16-bit, AC3
Tracks: 8 tracks (4 video, 4 audio)
Transitions & FX: Lots
Differentiating Tools: Chroma Key, Primary Color Correction

Vegas Pro: Professionals working in either SD/HD that require more tracks and capabilities that the Studio versions don’t have.
Video: High Definition (HD, HDV, AVCHD, HD-SDI)
Audio: 5.1 Surround Sound 24-bit, AC3
Tracks: Unlimited video and audio
Transitions & FX: More than lots. ;-)
Differentiating Tools: Chroma Key Primary & Secondary Color Correction, Video Scopes, 2D/3D Parent/Child Compositing, Multi-Camera, Scripting, Media Manager, more...

As you can see, the tools and capabilities increase with each version with the largest jump going from Platinum to Pro. If you don’t need these tools and capabilities then there is no sense paying for them.

If you are working in standard definition and are just getting started, Vegas Movie Studio will keep you busy for quite while. It has a very powerful set of tools that are probably the best available for the price.

If you are working in high definition and are just getting started, Vegas Movie Studio Platinum will add high def and color correction to the standard Movie Studio tools.

If you are a professional, and need unlimited tracks, compositing, 24-bit audio, video scopes, etc. then you should expect to make your $699 back within your first few customers and it’s a business expense anyway so why worry about the price? ;-) Seriously, don't pay $699. You can get it a lot cheaper. The point is, that it has support for features that you might not need and you can always upgrade later when you do.

If the comparison chart that Edward pointed you too did not answer your questions, then I recommend that the Movie Studio version is probably fine for your needs unless you’re shooting HD in which case getting the Platinum version would be best. Spend the $99 or $149 and don’t look back. You will be amazed at what Vegas Movie Studio can do.

~jr

K.C. Kennedy May 8th, 2008 01:04 PM

Thank you all.
Great advices.

Rick Diaz May 8th, 2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 874027)
AFAIK, Vegas used to be a top of the line product. As of version 8, Sony seems to have forsaken all camera brands except Sony. My JVC HD110 has dropped frame on capture problems, and I've read similar problems for Canon HD cams. I've called customer support, only to be told after a protracted delay in answering, that it isn't their problem! Since so many people seem to have the same problem, it's a little bit of denial syndrome for Sony to ignore it.

Not sure what Sony is thinking, but, I'm pretty soured on vegas, right now.

I'm no lover of Sony, but Vegas MSP8 has been doing just fine capturing footage from my Canon HV20. My biggest gripe is not being able to batch capture or capture in blocks using timecode with HDV content. And their use of non-standard terms (like event instead of clip).