Protype Titler....Could this get more complicated? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 9th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Protype Titler....Could this get more complicated?

I just recently started "playing" around with this this, and I have to say that I absolutely cannot figure it out. This is coming from a guy who knows squat about HTML a week ago, read a few paragraphs about it, and figured out why my friends webpage was misbehaving by reading the html code...anyway, I can't figure out this protype titler. On the left, you have curves, collections effects etc...how the heck do you use those? I get a circle with a line through it when I do anything with it...what's the difference between centered, center baseline etc etc...omg this thing is boggling my mind. Maybe it's because I have 5 beers in me and haven't slept in 23 hours....who knows. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Wrangler

I agree, I also found the interface very confusing. Like you, I thought I could sit down and figure it out the basics in a few minutes, but after an hour I couldn't do anything more advanced than I could with the old titler. I did switch over because I think the Pro Titler generates much cleaner and better looking text. But it's really, really frustrating not to be able to quickly figure out the new, cool, advanced features, especially when the rest of Vegas is so easy to figure out.

One of these days, I'll get the Pro Titler VASST DVD tutorial, but bouncing/flying text aren't really high on my priority list. So until then, that part of Vegas will just have to remain a mystery to me.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Go to you tube and search vegas pro 8 pro type titler.
I found a few very helpful.

I also posted this a while back it may help a little now or later
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=119727
Paul Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #4
Trustee

I agree,the Titler is a bit confusing but i'm sort of getting to grips with it.

I also agree about youtube,i now search on there for tutorials before going anywhere else,,,reading how to do something in the vegas manual is one thing,but seeing it done on a video is so much better.

Paul.
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #5
Major Player

I think it's the basic nature of all graphics programs. It's my livelihood to use these and there are no simple ones. The better they are, the more complicated they become. Some have generated whole libraries of fat how-to books and night classes everywhere.
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Vol 5 #2 of my newsletters has an article showing some of the basics of the Protype titler.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Pro-type Title Reuse Trick

Scenario: You have a title and applied all the effects you wish to it, such as Drop Shadow, Dropping words, Font size, etc.

Goal: You want to reuse the same attributes for all other title supers for consistent look thru the whole production.

Issue: I found as I replaced one name with another in the super, as soon as I deleted the first letter in the title I lost all the attributes.

Solution: Instead of doing an insert edit (I-beam cursor) and deleting/backspacking the undesired letters out, instead "swipe" or "highlight" at LEAST the first letter (more is ok, but get the very first letter) of the first word in the title text.
Then ctrl-v pre-loaded text from the clipboard, or start typing your new text over the highlighted letter(s).
The attributes you wish to retain appear to be embedded in the very first letter of the very first word of the super text, so replacing this letter by highlighting it and typing new characters is ok, but any deletion of the first letter of the first word causes all the attributes to revert to defaults.

Then just "save as" with updated name. I use the clipboard, so after pasting the new title in the pro-type window, I ctrl-v in the "save as" box and use same name for veg file too.

Footnote: I just bought Vasst Protype DVD, but was in the middle of a project and unable to figure out the "official" way, so now things have calmed down, I hope to really dig into Pro-type. It looks complicated, but I sense there's real power in this tool. Quality is outstanding.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Major Player

Titler has som neat effects, but it seems to fall in no man's land, between a barebone title and using Photoshop or something else to generate active text.

I found it very confusing even after spending $$ to get the "Seminar Series" from Sony and spending several hours trying to make sense of it all. I think I can conquer it, but it's not a very intuitive interface.

Fortunately most of my work requires only basic titles, so I haven't had to depend on Titler as of yet.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #9

You may find the VASST Titler DVD helpful. :-)

The interface isn't intuitive at all, and it's definitely got some weird quirks and hidden features/workflows, but once you capture those and understand how it all works (cascading for example, isn't readily self-evident), then it begins to make sense.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Doug,

Of the plug-in titlers VASST sells, which one do you prefer (and why) and how does it compare with the Vegas Pro Titler?
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm sure Spot won't mind me answering this.

[VASST doesn't (to my knowledge) sell any Titling tools ] - - - > edit: sorry, I was wrong about this. Thanks for setting me right Roger.

- Spot was talking about the excellent training DVDs that they offer.

Last edited by Ian Stark; May 12th, 2008 at 11:15 AM.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #12
Major Player

The VASST web page shows they sell 3rd party plug-ins, and several mention titling:

http://vasst.com/search.aspx?categor...+Party+Plugins

Do plug-in's like Heroglyph and Heroglyph Rapid not work with Vegas?
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #13
Inner Circle

My apologies - you are absolutely right, I should have checked. What I was really saying though was that Spot was referring to the VASST ProType training DVD in his response, rather than a specific titling plugin.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #14
Regular Crew

i got spot's vasst dvd ... helped a lot but still can get intricate and confusing at times ... i love Live Type...
Matthew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Is Live Type a Mac only app though? Agreed it looks pretty good.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...