DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How to slow down credit roll? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/121581-how-slow-down-credit-roll.html)

Norris Combs May 14th, 2008 12:10 AM

How to slow down credit roll?

I'm finishing up my first project with a trial version of Movie Studio Platinum, whoo hoo! For the credits at the end of the video, I'm using the "Credit Roll" preset from "Media Generators". Is it possible to slow it down so people can read it? All the texts move too fast. I was able to slow it down a little by doing multiple "splits". There must be a more elegant way.

Thanks!

Lorinda Norton May 14th, 2008 12:46 AM

Hi Norris,

I just right click on it, add a velocity envelope then stretch the clip as needed. :)

Paul Kellett May 14th, 2008 01:45 AM

Put your mouse pointer on the right edge of the clip,press and hold "ctrl" on the keyboard,then click and hold the left mouse button,you'll get a little ~ icon appear next to the pointer,now stretch the clip by pulling it to the right.
This works with all clips,ie stretch for slow down,,,squash for speed up.

Paul.

Josh Bass May 14th, 2008 03:31 AM

Isn't there a place where you set the actual duration? If you right click the credit roll in the timeline, you should be able to select "edit generated media", and somewhere in there should be an option to set the duration. The duration determines the speed. If you set it for 10 seconds, and you have a lot of credits, they're gonna go pretty fast. If you set it for 45 seconds with the same number of credits, should slow down a lot.

Andy Wilkinson May 14th, 2008 04:15 AM

Yes this is correct. You can set a specific duration (the default on my Vegas 7e is 10 seconds) ....or you can simply use the good methods suggested above - whichever works best for you.

That's the nice thing about Vegas, often there are several ways of achieving the end result.

Edward Troxel May 14th, 2008 06:37 AM

When you open the credit roll dialog, in the upper right hand corner is the "Length". You can manually change that to any timecode you wish. What you could do is set the length of the event to the length you want it to be, note the length, and then enter that length in that box.

Quote:

You can set a specific duration (the default on my Vegas 7e is 10 seconds)
If you go to Options - Preferences - Editing tab, the "New still image length" will be how long the credit roll (and other generated media) is by default.

You can also set a selection area on the timeline, right-click the video track, choose "Insert Generated Media", and pick the credit roll, and the "Length" will now match that selection area instead of the "still image length".

Lorinda Norton May 14th, 2008 08:37 AM

Wow, this is all very cool! Thanks for asking the question, Norris. I learn something new every day. :)

Norris Combs May 14th, 2008 09:16 AM

Paul,
I did try this before posting the question. There was a problem: if I stretched it out too far, it started to loop on itself during playback.

Thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 876948)
Put your mouse pointer on the right edge of the clip,press and hold "ctrl" on the keyboard,then click and hold the left mouse button,you'll get a little ~ icon appear next to the pointer,now stretch the clip by pulling it to the right.
This works with all clips,ie stretch for slow down,,,squash for speed up.

Paul.

Norris Combs May 14th, 2008 09:21 AM

2 related questions: If I slow down the credit roll, that will surely slow down the music I have playing during the same duration. I don't want the music slowing down as well. I remember reading about an "uncouple" function to separate the video from audio.

I have several still images (jpeg files) on the time line as well. How do I control the time that each image is displayed while the movie is playing? I split each of them up into 2 or 3, and that did the trick, but I couldn't precisely control the time.

Thanks a lot, you guys are a huge help to this newbie. This is a lot funner than I thought.

Mike Kujbida May 14th, 2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norris Combs (Post 877060)
Paul,
I did try this before posting the question. There was a problem: if I stretched it out too far, it started to loop on itself during playback.

Thanks,

See Edward's response 2 posts up about changing the event length.
This should take care of your problem.

Mike Kujbida May 14th, 2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norris Combs (Post 877064)
2 related questions: If I slow down the credit roll, that will surely slow down the music I have playing during the same duration. I don't want the music slowing down as well. I remember reading about an "uncouple" function to separate the video from audio.

Unless you've grouped it, a credit roll won't be locked to your music so slowing the roll down shouldn't have any effect on the music.

Quote:

I have several still images (jpeg files) on the time line as well. How do I control the time that each image is displayed while the movie is playing? I split each of them up into 2 or 3, and that did the trick, but I couldn't precisely control the time.
There's no need to split them up. Place your cursor at the start or end of the image and click-drag it to make it longer or shorter.

Paul Kellett May 14th, 2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norris Combs (Post 877060)
Paul,

Thanks,

That's because you dragged it without holding down ctrl

Paul.

Edward Troxel May 14th, 2008 01:17 PM

Vol 4 #2 of my newsletters has an article strictly on credit rolls that may be of some assistance as well.

Norris Combs May 14th, 2008 03:53 PM

Thanks Edward!