YouTube Rendering and Aspect Ratio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

YouTube Rendering and Aspect Ratio

Most tutorials are outdated on getting the most out of a YouTube render. Now, with the director status you can upload up to 1000mb per video. I've found that if you upload a 640x480 (among other things) it will read your video as "high quality" and offer your viewers two versions (standard and high quality). It's amazing to me that YouTube doesn't offer specific optimal settings for what you should output to in that regard. I've only used .WMV and get decent results.

I do have a problem tho, and it's converting 16:9 footage to 4:3.

Let me explain. My timeline is working in 1,440 x 1,080. I have two video clips that I want to play at the same time as each other side by side. I then, goto the Pan/Crop tool on each and crop out the points of interest. After that I use the track motion controls to line up both videos to fill out the full 1,440 x 1,080.

When I goto render this clip at 640x480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.000 it crops the right and left side of the video when, in fact I want the video to be letter-boxed. I thought it would do this automatically but nigh.

What am I doing wrong? I do not want to change the project video properties because I'm also rendering this out in true 16:9 but I would also like the branding of youtube.

Help with my aspect ratio problem would be appreciated, and any other YouTube advice (settings, filetypes) would be nice for me and others as well.
Roger Akers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Trustee

Nested project

Take your finished 16:9 HD project and embed it in an SD project. Make sure the nested .veg is not cropped but is instead zoomed all the way out with the bars on top & bottom. Then render from that project and you will get an SD project.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Take your finished 16:9 HD project and embed it in an SD project. Make sure the nested .veg is not cropped but is instead zoomed all the way out with the bars on top & bottom. Then render from that project and you will get an SD project.
As an example, the video on my landing page for YouTube used that effect. I had a 16:9 project that I imported into a 4:3 project. Then I used the crop to move the 16:9 up to the top to leave room for name at the bottom. It might not look as good as a normally letter boxed 16:9 production, but doing the titles like this helped me avoid putting the text over the picture which explodes render time because it has to do all sorts of transparency & AA work and that sort of text over video does not show up well at 320x240.

http://www.youtube.com/user/IdahoDigital
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...