DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Rendering for Youtube (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/121650-rendering-youtube.html)

Renton Maclachlan May 14th, 2008 07:55 PM

Rendering for Youtube

I have a 9 minute 57 second clip edited in Vegas 8 to put on Youtube. In the past I have rendered out a 56k and 256k version so people can choose suitable download.

However...grrrrrrr... everytime I post, the clip gets rejected as too long!!!*&^%$! Youtube claims it is 20 and a bit minutes instead of the 9 mins 57 sec. I have rendered the clip selected length only (render loop region only), done new files, etc, etc.

Anyone have any clues any to what could be going on?

Ben Longden May 14th, 2008 10:26 PM

I would be tempted to do a recut, and reduce the time.

From my understanding the file size is not the issue with You Tube, but project length.

Ben

Renton Maclachlan May 14th, 2008 11:48 PM

When the project was finished, it wsa 10 mins 18 seconds. Rather than go through it all and find 18 secs, I just shortened the length by draging the end and squeezing everything up a bit - made the whole thing go 1/35th faster but it was hardly noticable. However that didn't work.

So I went back to my original veg file and found the 18 secs through making a myriad of cuts. This brought it down to 9 mins 57 secs.

Just to make sure that the file wasn't reading longer than the project length, I selected the whole thing as a loop region and rendered that. The file info says it is 9:57 but Youtube says it it is 20 mins + .

I've tried it over and over and taken the file to another computer but no go.

Read on a blog somewhere to try .rm format. I did and youtube got the length right, but said it couldn't read the format!!!

This was supposed to be a scoop...:-(

Ben Longden May 15th, 2008 06:43 AM

Bugger....
Im in the news biz as well, so I know how you feel about a scoop..

I would really aim for reducing the time... even if you have to cut it into two parts and post them separately.

Ben

Jason Robinson May 15th, 2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Longden (Post 877625)
Bugger....
Im in the news biz as well, so I know how you feel about a scoop..

I would really aim for reducing the time... even if you have to cut it into two parts and post them separately.

Ben

THis is probably going to be your best option.

Ian Stark May 15th, 2008 12:57 PM

Anyone got any ideas about what's going wrong in the first place though?

Renton, what format did you originally render to? Have you tried asking YouTube tech support (if such a team exists).

Ian . . .

Jason Robinson May 15th, 2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 877850)
Anyone got any ideas about what's going wrong in the first place though?

Renton, what format did you originally render to? Have you tried asking YouTube tech support (if such a team exists).

Ian . . .

regarding the incorrect time, I am not sure. If YouTube was expecting a different frame rate and was only counting frames, then if you produced a 30p project instead of 29.97i then they might be adding up the frames and getting a slightly longer time.

A 10 minute clip has 18,000 frames at 30p but 17,982 at 29.97i. If YouTube was looking at those interlaced fields and making a direct conversion to progressive with no pull-downs, then may be that messes up things? It would seem to only potentially make your video look a 1/2 second longer, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue.

Renton Maclachlan May 15th, 2008 02:38 PM

Thanks Guys,

I rendered out to .wma at both 56kbps and 256kbps templates as I have done in the past - for people with dialup and those with Broadband.

The time has effectively doubled - Youtube says it is 20 minutes, yet it is only 10.

The piece is not really splitable, and anyway, I've noticed that when things are split, the numbers of viewers who move on to the second clip is about 1/4 of those who watch the first one.

You can't get to any person at Youtube for advice. They only have FAQ's.

I'll check through all the properties...but would really like to know what is happening.

Ian Stark May 15th, 2008 06:00 PM

I'm guessing you mean wmv rather than wma? Have you tried rendering to something else like mpg or mov and uploading that? That would be my first port of call I think.

Considering you can load files up to YouTube of up to 100mb (1Gb wit hthe YouTube Uploader) I would have thought it best to render to a higher quality rather than using the 56kb or 256kb wmv presets. It's going to be compressed and converted to Flash by YouTube anyway so there's no value in lowering the quality that much, as far as I can see.

Still can't understand why you're getting that weird problem though.

Renton Maclachlan May 15th, 2008 06:30 PM

Thanks Ian

Yes it was .wmv.

I'm just in the process of trying Mainconcept mp4 - actually just this minute have confirmed it worked so it is now live. That is good. It took a long time to upload.

Now...re this quality thing. What are you saying. That no matter what people are on, dialup or BB, that I can upload in quality and the compressed Youtube file will be ok for anyone to download in reasonable time? The reason I went for the low quality, was because I thought I was being kind to those on dailup, who would be more likely to look at it if they didn't have to spend ages waiting for the download.

Renton Maclachlan May 15th, 2008 08:33 PM

Got it. If your interested...see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-qqXG8Pds

Ian Stark May 16th, 2008 12:55 AM

I'm not a regular YouTube user to be honest, so maybe I've got this wrong. Anyone more intelligent care to chip in?

Congrats on getting the vid up eventually! I'll take a look in a second.

Jason Robinson May 16th, 2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 878343)
Now...re this quality thing. What are you saying. That no matter what people are on, dialup or BB, that I can upload in quality and the compressed Youtube file will be ok for anyone to download in reasonable time? The reason I went for the low quality, was because I thought I was being kind to those on dailup, who would be more likely to look at it if they didn't have to spend ages waiting for the download.

YouTube does not provide any difference in streaming quality depending on the users connection. That is why providing the highest quality image to YouTube is the most important variable in getting a high quality video displayed to users.

Renton Maclachlan May 16th, 2008 04:27 PM

Interesting. The only issue then is the length of time it takes to upload the higher quality footage to Youtube?

Jason Robinson May 16th, 2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 878849)
Interesting. The only issue then is the length of time it takes to upload the higher quality footage to Youtube?

I may need to correct myself because I just read on another thread here on DVInfo that YouTube is now giving people the option of uploading files larger than 100MB and is allowign the video to be presented in formats larger than 320x240. I'll have to verify this information.

But essentially, yes it doesn't matter what connection people use, they all get the same version. Som times on dialup you have to wait for YouTube to buffer before it can play. But it is the same quality video.