Vegas80.exe process remains after Vegas shut down - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Major Player

Just test a reformat with vista (32bits or the 64bit, the 64bit version is 100% stable for me any way...).

It cant getting any worse...
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Major Player

By the way, Magic bullet looks beta, is it aavilible for the rest of us?
Or is it just picked testers who get the chance of test it?
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Kim,

I got a response within 30 minutes from Sony Support and we're working through the problem. I must say I was very impressed with the speed of response - I was given to understand that they weren't that quick. The first solution didn't work though (this involved shutting down all but some key processes in Task Manager then trying to close Vegas normally) but let's see where else we go. Fingers crossed.

This pc is running XP, not Vista, and the problem has only started in the last couple of weeks so I suspect the issue is somewhere else rather than the OS. I'm not really that keen to shell out for a new OS on a product that has performed OK up to now (with the exception of ProType Titler - but don't get me started on that!!).

Regarding MB3, I was invited to join the beta testers as I have previously tested other Vegas plugins. I guess you could try contacting them and asking although I believe the beta testing is drawing to a close soon (which means release time is nigh?!).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Good luck Ian. I was going to suggest a complete re-format, etc, because I believe things are often left behind in a program reinstall that leave problems intact when the program is re-installed. But that is a drastic measure for a relatively small issue, I suppose, and of course not guaranteed to work.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #20
Inner Circle

HA! Jeff I am SHAKING with fear at the thought!

Seriously, I am actually quite into the idea of reformatting and starting from scratch (and yes, I probably would then go the Vista route) but I have soooo much work on at the moment that this is just not sensible.

Let's see what Sony comes up with. I'll report back.
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #21
Major Player

great.

I wait till beta testing is over...

And yes, when uninstalling an application it removes everything but some few kilobytes... only problem is that these kilobytes is a couple of houndred files in forms of register inputs all over the register, sometime it leaves files in windows map, windows/system32 map, diffrent temp maps, and so on...
And sometime it cant remove every files because they are used, even if you dont use the application, like in locked processes and so...

Even sometimes there can be applications which isnt compatible with eitchother, becasue of shared dll files and other systems configurations....

Good luck
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #22
Inner Circle

You'll get me moving onto Vista soon, Kim, I can tell!
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #23
Major Player

You should only see me as a pure informer, I love enlighten others with useble information, because I also appreciate when people enlighten me =)
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Ian, I have reformatted before in the middle of a busy spell, and it is a nightmare and certainly not advisable, as you already know!

Re: Vista, though you haven't asked, I'd like to share my experience with it. I was pretty hot for Vista w/SP1 when I first installed it, tried 64 bit and it worked fine but didn't support my E-Sata Card (despite the vendor having 64 bit drivers, which it turned out were not certified, hence they didn't work; but I digress).

I switched to 32 bit almost immediately and it was about the same but after awhile, and I hate to admit this, but "everyone" was right. I came to despise it. Unless the setting was somewhere that I missed, which is possible, my drives would go to sleep and I would have to wait everytime I saved a project for the drives to spin up...that got old real fast.

And needing to give permission for things as simple as moving something around on the start menu, that got old even faster. I know that setting can be turned off, and I tried it. However I went to install Adobe Acrobat Pro, it wouldn't install unless those security measures were turned ON, which took up hours to troubleshoot. So then I left it on, but what a pain. The added level of security is what partially attracted me to Vista in the first place, since I don't run virus protection.

The BIGGEST thing about Vista that I do not miss is the CONSTANT thrashing of my hard drives. My PC is quiet again, and that alone is so fantastic I will not switch again until 64 Vegas comes out and I hear the all clear for that.

Needless to say I am back with XP Pro and I haven't been this happy with my PC for ages. I actually dread Vegas 64 bit, because I know I'll try Vista again, and it will be back to that constant noise of my drives never shutting up.

I had thought the Mac commercials were a little harsh and a bit unfair with Vista, but after switching back to XP, I have to admit I now laugh along with them.

We will await with bated breath to hear the news of your solution. Should be interesting.
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Aha - both sides of the Vista camp!

Well, perhaps this isn't the thread to get into a Vista good -v- evil debate! Although I do find both sides of the story very compelling.

I think the 'uninstall remnants' theory is very plausible. I will see if a registry check throws anything up - I'll run it when I go to bed, which is going to be right about . . . . . NOW!

Cheers!

Ian . . .
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Actually for the record, I am not against Vista per se. I really wanted to like it. I simply found it to be annoying. Overall it ran fine.
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I have just bought a Vista laptop - fairly entry level (Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2Gb RAM etc) - running Home Premium. I also really wanted to like it but purely on an aesthetic level I'm luke warm. No major issues yet, just the usual trying to work out the Vista way as opposed to the XP way of doing stuff.

Stability wise it's fine - but then I haven't really put it through its paces yet - and probably never will, as this is just an email, web, word, excel etc machine. Having said that, I have installed Cakewalk Sonar on it and done a little field recording using an Edirol UA25 USB audio capture box. Worked out of the box which kinda pleasantly surprised me!

Anyway, back to the theme of the thread:

I ran Registry First Aid last night, just to see if that would pull out anything related to this issue. Nada. It found and fixed hundreds of bad entries but the problem persists.

Sony's first reposnse came back within 30 minutes but I haven't heard back from them following my reply, and that's now nearly 12 hours. I'm wondering if first line support just pulls solutions out of a prepared list, rather than actually analysing the problem fully. I guess that's to be expected and I'm still impressed with the speed of their first response. Reading a number of posts here I had the impression that you were lucky to get a response at all. Let's just hope that they have escalated my trouble ticket rather than lost it in a heap somewhere.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...